Old 29-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Reel Mckoi

Default Missing slider etc.

The baby slider that managed to breach the net and spend the summer in the
800 gallon pond has disappeared. We never saw him trying to escape, not
once. He basked on the rocks daily and ate loads of fish food. He didn't
damage the plants. We think he left the day we removed the net to work on
the plants and add the aerator. We haven't seen him since that day. All
that activity probably scared him off.

The goldfish have reproduced like crazy this summer. There are even young
ones in the barrels. They were removed to their winter quarters yesterday.
About half the water lettuce and hyacinths were taken to the compost pile.
These will fertilize next summer's veggie garden.

The young koi, and there are hundreds, are a real thrill to watch grow and
change. There are all colors and all scale types including mirror, leather,
diamond scale and metallic. This time I get to chose before the breeder,
then the wholesaler removes the BEST before sending the rest to the local
shops. Many are butterflies.

The water lilies bloomed from spring to fall. The best bloomers were the
yellows from HomeDepot and the mini changeable from Wal*Mart. They were
seldom without as least one flower. Jobe's Rose Spikes were used as
fertilizer in the spring. One spike broken into thirds per pot.

There was no sickness and no deaths in any of the ponds and pools. Their
basic diet is Catfish Chow mixed with Trout Chow and some cat food. I soak
it and break it for the young koi and goldfish who are too small to eat
these pellets whole.

I got another couple into ponding and supplied them with fish and plants. I
walk over every few days to watch the koi and goldfish grow in their 6000
gallon new home.

All in all it was a great ponding year. :-)))
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 29-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Priscilla McCullough

I'm glad you had a good summer with your fish.
Sorry about the turtle. I got a neice a yellow belly? Something like that.
It was her birthday present. She keeps it in the house.
Several hours during the day though she takes it out. I bought a little
preform pond and sunk it in the ground. Put somelittle bricks in there so it
can get in and out. We have chicken wire going around the pond about 2 ft so
it can sun itself. It seems happy.
I just gave away a bunch of my baby Koi and Sarasa's. I put a add in the
paper for free pond fish. I go out to the callers house and make sure they
have a healthy pond before I give them my fish.
Priss

Old 29-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
I'm glad you had a good summer with your fish.
Sorry about the turtle. I got a neice a yellow belly? Something like that.
It was her birthday present. She keeps it in the house.

## A yellow belly? That sounds like some kind of slider. Ours was a
red-ear slider just like the ones they used to sell in all the pet stores
and 5 & 10s years ago. It was green at first, then turned brown. Our
turtle just showed up one day in the pond and stayed for the summer. We
enjoyed watching and feeding him/her since last April or May. It had
quadrupled in size. We also had a baby snapper but relocated that one to
the nearby lake. We get snappers almost every summer but since they go
after the fish we remove them.

Several hours during the day though she takes it out. I bought a little
preform pond and sunk it in the ground. Put somelittle bricks in there so
it can get in and out. We have chicken wire going around the pond about 2
ft so it can sun itself. It seems happy.

## I bet she's enjoying it! :-) I remember the turtles I had as a
kid.....

I just gave away a bunch of my baby Koi and Sarasa's. I put a add in the
paper for free pond fish. I go out to the callers house and make sure they
have a healthy pond before I give them my fish.
Priss

## I've been selling or trading my excess fish with stores in the area that
handle pond supplies and fish. I can only hope for the best for them. I
usually have too many to check out where they're all going, when they leave
here. The ones that went to the pond across the road I can visit any time
I want... and I'm enjoying watching that large pond mature and the fish they
got from me grow and thrive. :-)
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
Make sure of which Reel McKoi you're replying to - the TROLL from
alt.religion.jehovahs-witn is using other people's names to bypass
killfiles. There are now TWO Reel McKoi's posting here.

Red eared slider in a Koi pond joe Ponds 8 01-10-2011 08:24 AM
Red eared slider turtle Mainpin Ponds 9 16-01-2004 05:42 AM
OT? red eared slider johnrutz Ponds 5 30-07-2003 06:12 PM
RED EARED SLIDER Mainpin Ponds 4 07-06-2003 08:44 PM
Sick Red eared Slider Rhino Ponds 2 08-04-2003 07:56 PM