Old 01-10-2005, 07:53 PM
rtk

Default Is it possible?

About a 1500 gallon pond with 6 koi, each about 8 inches, and as many as
1000 !!!!!!! fry? Very tiny, less than an inch, some half that size.
If they're not koi, then it's been raining fish here. I'm altogether
serious. There seem to be that many. I swept a net just once by about
4 feet of edge and had at least 30 caught, which I then put indoors in
my turtle and miscellaneous tank. I think the fry are too small to
survive the winter here in Pennsylvania and I suppose that's just as
well. I've had shubunkin fry in my other pond in reasonable numbers,
never anything like this. The turtle tank is very warm and of course
the koi are cold water fish. Was it a mistake to put them in such warm
water?

rtk
Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:53:10 -0400, rtk wrote:

About a 1500 gallon pond with 6 koi, each about 8 inches, and as many as
1000 !!!!!!! fry? Very tiny, less than an inch, some half that size.
If they're not koi, then it's been raining fish here. I'm altogether
serious. There seem to be that many. I swept a net just once by about
4 feet of edge and had at least 30 caught, which I then put indoors in
my turtle and miscellaneous tank. I think the fry are too small to
survive the winter here in Pennsylvania and I suppose that's just as
well. I've had shubunkin fry in my other pond in reasonable numbers,
never anything like this. The turtle tank is very warm and of course
the koi are cold water fish. Was it a mistake to put them in such warm
water? rtk

Doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't be surprised that many will over
winter. Regarding bringing in them inside. Sounds like a chore, keeping the
water in good shape, etc. ~ jan

Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 PM
rtk

~ jan jjspond wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jan. I just brought in the one netful, just in case they don't
make it. I won't try to keep the water any better than I usually keep
it, which isn't very good because the turtles are so productive. It's
120 gallons, but just half full and I make a 50% water change every only
every two weeks. One of the three turtles is a great big slider who
makes the water murky very quickly. However, a convict, 3 giant danios,
refugees from my other tanks, and an uncontrollable guppy population do
very well in there, so maybe I'll have a koi/sardine situation soon.

rtk
Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Reel Mckoi

"rtk" wrote in message
About a 1500 gallon pond with 6 koi, each about 8 inches, and as many as
1000 !!!!!!! fry?

## YES! They're extremely prolific! And the more plants you have in your
pond the more fry that will survive.

Very tiny, less than an inch, some half that size.
If they're not koi, then it's been raining fish here. I'm altogether
serious. There seem to be that many. I swept a net just once by about 4
feet of edge and had at least 30 caught, which I then put indoors in my
turtle and miscellaneous tank. I think the fry are too small to survive
the winter here in Pennsylvania and I suppose that's just as well.

## If the adults survive your winters the little ones will as well - unless
they're very thin.

I've had shubunkin fry in my other pond in reasonable numbers,
never anything like this. The turtle tank is very warm and of course the
koi are cold water fish. Was it a mistake to put them in such warm water?

## How warm? About 70 F should be ok for the koi fry. How many gallons
is this turtle tank? I hope you have a really good filter because koi grow
rapidly and pass a lot of feces.

rtk

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...