Old 17-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Capn Courage

Default Winterizing

Has anyone tried using rigid insulation floating on the pond to keep the
water temp up a few degrees. I normally run a small pump to keep a hole
open
for gas exchange but last winter it was so cold here in southern Ontario
that it froze over anyway. My pond is 1800 gallons and 3 foot deep with 50
to 60 fish of all sizes up too 18 inch's. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards
Norm

Old 18-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Capn Courage" wrote in message
Has anyone tried using rigid insulation floating on the pond to keep the
water temp up a few degrees.

## Does it work?

I normally run a small pump to keep a hole
open
for gas exchange but last winter it was so cold here in southern Ontario
that it froze over anyway.

## Here in zone 6 those little pumps or small aerators work. :-)

My pond is 1800 gallons and 3 foot deep with 50
to 60 fish of all sizes up too 18 inch's. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

## That's incredible!!! My pond is 2000 gallons and only has about 16 koi
(plus 8 fry that were born after the cleaning and berm repair). Several of
these are being removed at the next major water change. How do you keep the
water in good condition with 50 or 60 fish in your pond? If your pond
freezes over they're sure to suffocate and quickly. You may want to start
finding homes for some of them.

McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 20-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

[quote=Capn Courage]Has anyone tried using rigid insulation floating on the pond to keep the
water temp up a few degrees. I normally run a small pump to keep a hole
open
for gas exchange but last winter it was so cold here in southern Ontario
that it froze over anyway. My pond is 1800 gallons and 3 foot deep with 50
to 60 fish of all sizes up too 18 inch's. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Rigid material? Why? it would reduce the sun warming the water and add to sealing the water surface, contributing to poorer water quality.

Now if you put a sturdy frame (sturdy enough to cope with a heavy snow) a foot or two over a pond with a strong grade of clear plastic sheet (6 mil) that would collect warmth from the sun and reduce ground cooling after dark.

That would significantly improve a ponds 'climate' in harsh freezing Winters. Take care a 'cold frame' does not bake and broil the pond, when Spring sun gets to strengthen up...

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
Old 20-10-2005, 10:07 PM
~Roy

The local swimming pool company here had some left over solar blanket
material they were throwing away.......It resembles bubble wrap
material but with a heavier gauge material, UV resistant, and its
made to it absorbs heat rays and transfers it to the water.....Sort of
a semi transparent metallic mylar material. They sell it by the sq
foot or yard in some places or can get the blanket in finished sizes
as well. IIRC they told me a piece big enough to cover a typical pool
of 25 x 40 feet was around $175, complete with gromets and anchoring
cords.

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:38:20 +0000, adavisus
wrote:

===
===Capn Courage Wrote:
[...]
=== http://tinyurl.com/o8ax

"The original frugal ponder"

Winterizing John Ferman Ponds 2 23-11-2003 10:25 PM
winterizing lawn - HA HA Budys Here Gardening 1 18-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing advice for novices Jerome Gardening 2 02-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 06-01-2003 08:05 PM