Old 19-10-2005, 03:03 AM
Patrick Fischer

Default He's Orange!!!

Ok. I inherited 3 koi when I bought my house in July 2004. (Two
black/orange/white and one black/orange) I have carefully maintained my
atrium pond and all are doing well. In August 2005 I bought a "bright
yellow" koi and introduced him to the pond. He's growing and seems happy.

I've been feeding them the food that is supposed to "increase the color" and
now I find that my "yellow" is turning "Orange".

My question: Will changing food eventually bring back his original color
and, if so, how soon would that happen? Given that we are approaching the
time when feeding will stop, am I looking at next year?

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

Old 19-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok. I inherited 3 koi when I bought my house in July 2004. (Two
black/orange/white and one black/orange) I have carefully maintained my
atrium pond and all are doing well. In August 2005 I bought a "bright
yellow" koi and introduced him to the pond. He's growing and seems happy.
I've been feeding them the food that is supposed to "increase the color"
and
now I find that my "yellow" is turning "Orange".

## I don't use color enhancing feeds and some of my koi deepened in color
over time.

My question: Will changing food eventually bring back his original color
and, if so, how soon would that happen? Given that we are approaching the
time when feeding will stop, am I looking at next year?

## If the food caused the change then stop feeding it to him/her. Probably
a few months will be needed before his color returns to normal.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Patrick Fischer

Thanks. I really liked the yellow color of this fish, especially at night
when the pond lights are on. He just seemed to glow. Any suggestions as to a
preferred food?

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

Old 19-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Thanks. I really liked the yellow color of this fish, especially at night
when the pond lights are on. He just seemed to glow. Any suggestions as to
a preferred food?

======================
We use the much cheaper Catfish and Trout chows mixed with a small amount of
kitten and or puppy chow. No one can say this isn't a good diet when they
look at the health of my fish. Plus they're growing and reproducing like
crazy. My yellows do stay yellow and the orange and reds have a deep rich
color. Do keep in mind that koi can change color as time goes by. I
remember a beautiful black and white koi with a nice red patch on it's head.
What a beauty! By the time it was 3 or 4 years old it was the ugliest fish
in the pond. The red patch got smaller and smaller until it disappeared and
the black and white sort of blended into a motley looking dirty gray
color..... UGH! I finally found a Pet Shop that took it for free.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
NAMES ARE BEING FORGED.

Old 20-10-2005, 03:29 PM
~ jan jjspond

Thanks. I really liked the yellow color of this fish, especially at night
when the pond lights are on. He just seemed to glow. Any suggestions as to a
preferred food?
Pat Fischer

Hi Pat, Good with a good quality feed that is also easy on your filtration
so it doesn't ruin your clear water. I recommend Manda Fu, Sho Koi, and/or
Hy Fang. I feed all 3. ~ jan Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
To e-mail see website