Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
The Space Boss

Default How long can fish go w/o eating when it's cold

Thanks for the info on the fish. SInce the water is a bit chilly,
probably under 50 degrees, I have stopped feeding them. They aren't
even coming up to the top.

Anyway, how long can the fish go without eating in the cold? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Shazam

all winter, if they need dinner they should be able to find enough in the
pond. Their digestive systems are temperature controlled and don't work in
the cold
In a happy pond shouldn't need to feed in summer either

oups.com...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

On 4 Dec 2005 01:40:48 -0800, "The Space Boss" wrote:

Anyway, how long can the fish go without eating in the cold? Thanks.

As Shazam mentioned they will be fine. Mine in the koi pond go from
mid-October till sometime around mid-March to April without hand delivery.

My lily pond, which is the "happy" pond that Shazam mentioned, the fish
don't get fed by me throughout the summer. It is "happy" because there are
lots of plants, lots of surface area and few fish... only goldfish. Though
several of them get to come in and winter inside where they are fed.

Oh, and as a further note. We have a "serious" koi ponder in our club. The
type that catches and checks his fish twice a year. He checks for sores
fall & winter and also weighs them. He found his koi didn't lose any weight
from fall to spring. ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-12-2005, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info on the fish. SInce the water is a bit chilly,
probably under 50 degrees, I have stopped feeding them. They aren't
even coming up to the top.

Anyway, how long can the fish go without eating in the cold? Thanks.

Here in Zone 6 (middle TN USA) my koi, rosy reds and outdoor goldfish go
unfed from sometime in mid to late November to late March or early April
depending on the weather.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Shazam" wrote in message
reenews.net...
all winter, if they need dinner they should be able to find enough in the
pond. Their digestive systems are temperature controlled and don't work in
the cold
In a happy pond shouldn't need to feed in summer either

======================
We feed our fish in summer because our pond isn't large enough to support
all the koi that live in it, a few of them getting large now. If you have
a 5000 gallon pond and only perhaps 2 koi then they may find enough on their
own to survive.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM posted to rec.ponds
The Space Boss

Shazam wrote:

In a happy pond shouldn't need to feed in summer either

Could you please clarify what you mean by this??? I feed my fish twice
a day in the summer - can't bring myself not to feed them, because I'll
tell you they appreciate it so much. When they see me approaching the
pond with the food, it's "happy time"!

Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek

The Space Boss wrote:

Shazam wrote:

In a happy pond shouldn't need to feed in summer either

Could you please clarify what you mean by this??? I feed my fish twice
a day in the summer - can't bring myself not to feed them, because I'll
tell you they appreciate it so much. When they see me approaching the
pond with the food, it's "happy time"!

I fed mine too, but only for the joy _I_ got. The pond was lightly stocked
and they could have fed themselves.
--
derek