Old 30-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Russ and Cathy

Default How long can fish

stay in my pond without the pump working? We had a power surge today that
must have burnt out my pump. Will the fish be ok for lets say 6 hours until
my husband gets home tonight?
Thanks,
Cathy

Old 30-07-2003, 05:22 PM
K30a

Hi Cathy,
Cathy wrote How long can fish
stay in my pond without the pump working?

Depends on how hot it is today.
(Here predicted 111!!!)

Do you have a filter?
You want to keep it alive.
If you do you can run to Walmart
or any 'Mart' store and ask them for
a battery power bait pump. Fishermen
use them to keep their bait alive.

Put a sprinkler
head on your hose, place it so the water goes
waaaaaaaaaaay up and then falls into the
pond and run it on and off over the day.
Add a little dechlor at each sprinkling.

You can go to the store and buy a block of
ice. (Not in a little pond but I think 700 gallons
plus could handle a block of ice.)

good luck and let us know how it goes,

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 30-07-2003, 05:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
stay in my pond without the pump working? We had a power surge today that
must have burnt out my pump. Will the fish be ok for lets say 6 hours

until
my husband gets home tonight?

The amount of down time you can live through will depend on many factors
including stocking levels, water quality before the pump went down, etc. I'd
not feed them today, if you do normally feed, and if you can, getting the
water aerating with a simple air stone wouldn't hurt.

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Russ and Cathy

Thanks k30. I will use the sprinkler fashion until my hubby gets home to
take a good look at why it is not working. I am really pond mechanic
ignorant but this how is how it worked before the power surge this morning.
The pump sends the pond water thru a big filter ( looks the size of a keg),
from there it comes out a hose to my veggie filter and over the falls and
back into the pond. With the pump not working...... then nothing is working.
So the fish are not able to get any oxygen. The sprinkler will create the
bubbles the fish need for oxygen for the time being. I do have an empty
indoor fish pond and another very large stock tank that i could put the fish
in but by the time i caught all the fish, my husband would be home. And
besides, these extra tanks are empty so i would have to fill them first and
it wouldnt be the greatest thing for the fish to put them in water that isnt
conditioned for them first.
I have tryed plugging the pump into other outlets to check to see if it were
a dead pump or outlet but i think it is the pump.
I will use the temporary fix until my husband gets home. I would hate to
have to buy another pump. That thing was very expensive.
Thanks again.
Cathy

Old 31-07-2003, 03:13 AM
Russ and Cathy

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
stay in my pond without the pump working? We had a power surge today that
must have burnt out my pump. Will the fish be ok for lets say 6 hours

until
my husband gets home tonight?
Thanks,
Cathy

I did the sprinkler system today to add oxygen to my tank until my husband
got home. That seemed to help. My husband took apart the pump and found alot
of the pond plants tangled up in it. Must be when the power surge started it
snuffed up my plants in a rush and clogged the pump. All is well with it
now. I am so glad we dont have to buy a new one. Thanks k30 and BV for
helping me out.
Cathy

How long can fish go w/o eating when it's cold The Space Boss Ponds 6 05-12-2005 03:18 PM
sick fish? (long-sorry) Cheryl Ponds 4 10-05-2004 03:06 PM
How long to cure cement for fish Gideon Singer Ponds 8 09-03-2004 04:13 AM
How long to cure cement for fish Gideon Singer Ponds 0 06-03-2004 07:49 PM
Mulch that takes a long long time to breakdown? [email protected] Gardening 8 12-05-2003 09:08 PM