Old 16-12-2005, 06:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
The Space Boss

Default Relocating fish from a pond

Hello there,
I'm wondering how you would go about relocating fish from a pond
that is being removed or replaced? Is there anybody you could call who
would help you strain them out and relocate them to a new home? And how
would you go about it? I imagine you would drain the pond within a few
inches and then just strain them into a container? What would you do?
Have you ever thought about this?

Thanks!

Old 16-12-2005, 01:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gale Pearce

I'm wondering how you would go about relocating fish from a pond
that is being removed or replaced? Is there anybody you could call who
would help you strain them out and relocate them to a new home? And how
would you go about it? I imagine you would drain the pond within a few
inches and then just strain them into a container? What would you do?
Have you ever thought about this?

you have the right idea about draining the pond down - use some of that
water to fill whatever containers you are going to use to transport them.
Try to do it as gently as possible, not "chasing " them any more than you
have to - less stress on the fish. A local pet shop might be interested in
them, although this is the "off-season" for most places to be stocking up on
fish
Good Luck Gale :~)

Old 16-12-2005, 02:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

ON the right track with your method, however your not lookiing to
"strain" them, your looking to net them.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 16-12-2005, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,
I'm wondering how you would go about relocating fish from a pond
that is being removed or replaced? Is there anybody you could call who
would help you strain them out and relocate them to a new home? And how
would you go about it? I imagine you would drain the pond within a few
inches and then just strain them into a container? What would you do?
Have you ever thought about this?

Thanks!

How many fish?
What kind?
What size pond?

A lot of people with ponds in northern areas
move fish inside every winter. From what I've
read, they have something set up inside that
provides a temporary home for the winter months.

Catching fish depends on questions above.
Anyone reasonably competent with a net
should be able to catch fish, unless the fish
are full-sized koi. (I'm guessing that's more
of an expert's job.) You might call around
to hobby fish stores, botanical garden, even
a local zoo for advice/hiring someone to help.

Temporary holding tanks can be Rubbermaid
(or similar manufacturers) plastic containers
NEW (so there's nothing toxic to fish in them),
using pond water and/or treated tap (whatever
your fish are used to). If they're going to be
in there for very long, you should add filtration.

Gail

Old 16-12-2005, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,
I'm wondering how you would go about relocating fish from a pond
that is being removed or replaced? Is there anybody you could call who
would help you strain them out and relocate them to a new home? And how
would you go about it? I imagine you would drain the pond within a few
inches and then just strain them into a container? What would you do?
Have you ever thought about this?

================
A pond owning neighbor offered to come over and help us when we had to empty
our smaller pond for repairs this past summer. We drained it down to about
12" and netted the fish. Some wily older ones jumped the net and weren't
too easily caught. They were then sorted into several aerated kiddy pools of
the pond's water. The koi to keep, those fish to sell, and the goldfish to
keep (in permanent pools of their own behind the house). When the work on
this smaller pond was finished, in 2 days, we replaced the koi we planned to
keep. One of us was in the pond though to net them and hand the net to
someone on the berm. I wouldn't want to do this in winter where the water
gets cold.

If you're looking for someone to help you remove the fish you can contact
your local aquarium or pond store, or a pond or fish club for information.
They would know who could help you. Surely there would be someone to
volunteer or do it for a small fee. Someone may be able to help you catch
them and deliver them to a shop willing to take them this time of year. The
stores where I live (zone 6) don't usually take pond fish until March or
April.

When we completely redid the 2000 gallon pond we set up a 1500 gallon pool
from Wal*Mart complete with the fishes pond filter and plants since they
would be in it several weeks. They thrived in it and we found many fry in
this pool when we moved them back to their pond.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: