Old 19-12-2005, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
G & K Meyer

Default air stone still iceing over pond question

I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump all
winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and are
having a colder year than normal.
So question is being the air pump is putting fresh air into the pond
will it hurt anything if it does ice over? The fish are down deep and in
winter mood and use less air and need no food right?
Will the gas get out or do I need to keep it open?
Thanks for the help.
--
"You have to go out on a limb sometimes, because that's where the fruit is"

Old 19-12-2005, 03:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump all
winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and are
having a colder year than normal.
So question is being the air pump is putting fresh air into the pond
will it hurt anything if it does ice over? The fish are down deep and in
winter mood and use less air and need no food right?
Will the gas get out or do I need to keep it open?
Thanks for the help.
--
"You have to go out on a limb sometimes, because that's where the fruit
is"

I would keep a hole open so the gasses can escape.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 19-12-2005, 03:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

"G & K Meyer" wrote:

I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump all
winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and are
having a colder year than normal.
So question is being the air pump is putting fresh air into the pond
will it hurt anything if it does ice over? The fish are down deep and in
winter mood and use less air and need no food right?
Will the gas get out or do I need to keep it open?

Ppeople put air stones in their ponds in winter to keep an opening in
the ice. If it doesn't do that than it is not pumping enough air.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 19-12-2005, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jerry Donovan

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump all
winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and are
having a colder year than normal.
So question is being the air pump is putting fresh air into the pond
will it hurt anything if it does ice over? The fish are down deep and in
winter mood and use less air and need no food right?
Will the gas get out or do I need to keep it open?
Thanks for the help.

If air is going in, and it is not getting out anywhere, then you had
best stand back. It will build up pressure and eventually explode.

Not!

If air is going in, then it is getting out, typically around the edges
somewhere. The idea is to let the bad gasses escape. If bubbles
are getting in and out, then most likely the bad gasses are escaping
too.

I also live in Colorado. On our little pond, the bubbles often create
some fumerole type shapes where the bubbles come out. They
can be as much as about a foot tall. They are kind of neat.
This following website has a few photos taken about 3 years ago.

http://www.jerryandsandi.com/pond/winterpond.html

The main thing is to make sure air is getting in. When I use too
small of tubing, the tube can get blocked with frozen moisture.
Using larger diameter tubing, and a small light bulb under the
cover that our air pump is in helps keep the bubbles flowing.
Keeping the tubing run as short as possible helps too.

Jerry

Old 19-12-2005, 09:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

This following website has a few photos taken about 3 years ago.

http://www.jerryandsandi.com/pond/winterpond.html

Jerry

Pretty neat looking ice sculptures Jerry. How deep is your Colorado pond?

--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

Old 20-12-2005, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

This following website has a few photos taken about 3 years ago.

http://www.jerryandsandi.com/pond/winterpond.html

Jerry

That's amazing. ) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 20-12-2005, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jerry Donovan

"PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote in message

This following website has a few photos taken about 3 years ago.

http://www.jerryandsandi.com/pond/winterpond.html

Jerry

Pretty neat looking ice sculptures Jerry. How deep is your Colorado pond?

Usually the ice build up looks more like tiny volcanos,
but this one was more unusual.

It's just a little one (150 gal) that we got at Sams Club.
The depth is about 18". The ice gets about 3 inches thick.

Because of it's small size, we only have goldfish in it.
The fish seem to always survive the winter, which I
think is amazing.

Some day, we'd like to put in a bigger pond,
but for now we enjoy this little one.

Jerry

Old 24-12-2005, 12:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

WAY cool, Jerry!
I live in Colorado Springs and with the exception of where the air stone
is, my pond had been pretty much frozen over since the first hard
freeze. I am hoping our 50+ degree temps for the next few days will
give some relief.
Where are you located?
W. Dale

Old 25-12-2005, 03:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Tanzer

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in
:

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump
all winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and
are having a colder year than normal.

I also live in Colorado. On our little pond, the bubbles often create
some fumerole type shapes where the bubbles come out. ... The main
thing is to make sure air is getting in. When I use too
small of tubing, the tube can get blocked with frozen moisture.
Using larger diameter tubing, and a small light bulb under the
cover that our air pump is in helps keep the bubbles flowing...

Jerry

I too used an air pump and grew ice sculptures where the bubbles escaped.
Unfortunately the air intake to the pump would either get plugged with
ice or slip down under the water. I think there were some curious cats
in the neighborhood that played with the air intake.

So this year I went back to leaving the circulation pump on all winter
and added one of those small (25 watt?) heaters to keep a hole open. So
far, despite cold weather, a hole has stayed open in my pond most of the
time. For a few days it iced over. Snow got into the electrical outlet
and tripped the ground fault interrupter; after I reset the circuit the
weather warmed up and now the pond surface is mostly open.

All the fish seem to have survived.

Rich
Old 28-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by G & K Meyer
I got a air pump and stone this year, rather than running a water pump all
winter. We have around a 1200gal pond 3 ft deep, in Colorado, and are
having a colder year than normal.
So question is being the air pump is putting fresh air into the pond
will it hurt anything if it does ice over? The fish are down deep and in
winter mood and use less air and need no food right?
Will the gas get out or do I need to keep it open?
Thanks for the help.
--
"You have to go out on a limb sometimes, because that's where the fruit is"

I use a floating stock tank heater to keep my pond from completely freezing over. This lets the gases escape that come from rotting leaves,algae etc. that can kill your fish. You can pick one of these up at a feed store. Hopefully living in Colorado, as I do, you can find a heater easily.

Old 28-12-2005, 06:18 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jerry Donovan

"Wilmdale" wrote in message:
WAY cool, Jerry!
I live in Colorado Springs and with the exception of where
the air stone is, my pond had been pretty much frozen over
since the first hard freeze. I am hoping our 50+ degree
temps for the next few days will give some relief.

Where are you located?
W. Dale

I live in Loveland, (about an hour north of Denver) My little pond is still
half frozen over even after the warm weather we have had.

Jerry

Old 28-12-2005, 06:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jerry Donovan

"Richard Tanzer" wrote in message
I too used an air pump and grew ice sculptures where the bubbles escaped.
Unfortunately the air intake to the pump would either get plugged with
ice or slip down under the water. I think there were some curious cats
in the neighborhood that played with the air intake.

So this year I went back to leaving the circulation pump on all winter
and added one of those small (25 watt?) heaters to keep a hole open. So
far, despite cold weather, a hole has stayed open in my pond most of the
time. For a few days it iced over. Snow got into the electrical outlet
and tripped the ground fault interrupter; after I reset the circuit the
weather warmed up and now the pond surface is mostly open.

All the fish seem to have survived.

I've been using an aquarium air pump. By placing it under an
upside down flower pot with a night light inside and a rock on
top, it has kept pumping air pretty well. I plugged the hole in
the flower pot to keep moisture from dripping in. So far, this
setup hasn't had a problem with either the pump going bad
or tripping the ground fault.

Rich

Jerry