Old 24-12-2005, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

Default Attach 4" pipe to pool skimmer question

I need advice on hooking up a swimming pool filter to a 4" PVC pipe which
will gravity drain to a 55 gallon settling tank (along with a 4" pipe from
my bottom drain). See http://powlusr.tripod.com/Pond/Pond.htm#Update pick #4
for details.

I'm looking at three possible skimmers, 2-wide mouth (11.5" wide rather than
8") and 1 long neck (neck extends further from the pool, err pond). Would
wide mouth or long neck be better?
$49.99 Deluxe Skimmer - wide mouth
http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_dis...&pp=yes&afsrc=1
$44.99 ABS - wide mouth
http://www.poolstore.com/store1/wel...immerindex.html
$46.82 SP1097 long neck
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Sw...19~product.html

Any suggestions on how to attach a 4" PVC pipe to the bottom? How do you cut
the hole? Use a collar? What type of glue? Has anyone had problems doing
this. I'm trying to save money, but would I be happier in the long run if I
attach the 4" PVC to a regular pond skimmer such as the $145 Atlantic 4500
(http://www.pondliner.com/AtlanticPS4500.htm).

--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

Old 26-12-2005, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Paul in Redland

Robin,
Several of the links you provide don't seem to work, so I don't know just
what you have in mind here. Having said that, you could made a skimmer for
about $30 using a fiberglass laundry sink. You can get them at Lowes, Home
Depot etc. Very easy if you're the DIY type and have a few simple tools.
Greg Bickal used to have plans on his website (
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/ ), but now he has all his stuff on a
$10 cd. Well worth it. He has a lot of good ideas.
I don't understand why you're using 4" PVC pipe. ABS pipe is a lot cheaper
in large sizes and works quite well. Is the 4" size necessary?

Paul

Old 26-12-2005, 05:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

I'm not familiar with ABS pipe, but will look into it. Both the bottom drain
and skimmer will be gravity flow into a 55 gallon settling tank. I feel I
need the 4" for the gravity flow.
--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

news

Old 26-12-2005, 06:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Paul in Redland

OK, that makes sense. ABS plastic pipe is commonly used in drain systems in
homes, sinks,toilets and such. It's black. PVC is usually white, although
it's grey when used for electrical conduit. The ABS fittings used to plumb a
toilet are perfect for connecting the 4" pipe to a tank or in your case a
filter or skimmer. They're called toilet flanges and have holes in them
making it real easy to bolt to a surface, use silicone sealer to make it
water tight. To get an idea of this, look at
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm and check out the links to his
pictures. Hope this helps,