Old 13-01-2006, 07:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
jw 1111

Default some goldfish turning gold

Hi, have a tank about 4 ft x 3ft x 3ft in the garden in north london u.k.
it overflows into a much smaller tank. last year i put two goldfish in the
large tank. later small black fish appeared in the small over flow tank, but
interestingly none in the big tank. (guess all the eggs must have flowed
into the small tank) i am wondering why no baby fish appeared in the big
tank though?

recently i took a few of these babies out of the small tank and put them in
an indoor glass tank. a couple of these have turned gold colour, but the
ones outside still have stayed black even though they are bigger than the
ones taken inside. why is s this would you think? what in fact
determines when they change colour?

Old 13-01-2006, 07:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, have a tank about 4 ft x 3ft x 3ft in the garden in north london u.k.
it overflows into a much smaller tank. last year i put two goldfish in
the large tank. later small black fish appeared in the small over flow
tank, but interestingly none in the big tank. (guess all the eggs must
have flowed into the small tank) i am wondering why no baby fish appeared
in the big tank though?

They could have eaten all the eggs or fry. There may not have been enough
plants for the young fish to hide in and find small enough food to eat.

recently i took a few of these babies out of the small tank and put them
in an indoor glass tank. a couple of these have turned gold colour, but
the ones outside still have stayed black even though they are bigger than
the ones taken inside. why is s this would you think? what in fact
determines when they change colour?

Good question?!?!?! I *think* it's mostly genetic.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 13-01-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:09:17 GMT, jw 1111 wrote:

recently i took a few of these babies out of the small tank and put them in
an indoor glass tank. a couple of these have turned gold colour, but the
ones outside still have stayed black even though they are bigger than the
ones taken inside. why is s this would you think? what in fact
determines when they change colour?

Magic.

We have some 5 year old ones that are still black although two of that
group did turn gold and white last year, some will never turn. They
were black originally before they were bred for colour and you always
get genetic throwbacks.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 13-01-2006, 08:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Paul

jw 1111 wrote:
Hi, have a tank about 4 ft x 3ft x 3ft in the garden in north london u.k.
it overflows into a much smaller tank. last year i put two goldfish in the
large tank. later small black fish appeared in the small over flow tank, but
interestingly none in the big tank. (guess all the eggs must have flowed
into the small tank) i am wondering why no baby fish appeared in the big
tank though?

recently i took a few of these babies out of the small tank and put them in
an indoor glass tank. a couple of these have turned gold colour, but the
ones outside still have stayed black even though they are bigger than the
ones taken inside. why is s this would you think? what in fact
determines when they change colour?

I had two year old fish that were black and when I moved house they were
transfered to a tank at my parents and now all have changed colour.

Paul
Old 13-01-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.it17wv3.pminews@ouse ...
We have some 5 year old ones that are still black although two of that
group did turn gold and white last year, some will never turn. They
were black originally before they were bred for colour and you always
get genetic throwbacks.

============================
And these dark ones will most likely be the last ones the predators get, and
so get to reproduce longer and more will survive.

Old 13-01-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:32:04 -0600, Koi-lo wrote:

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.it17wv3.pminews@ous e...
We have some 5 year old ones that are still black although two of that
group did turn gold and white last year, some will never turn. They
were black originally before they were bred for colour and you always
get genetic throwbacks.

============================
And these dark ones will most likely be the last ones the predators get, and
so get to reproduce longer and more will survive.

That's what I thought would happen but it seems that the the dark ones
aren't as successful or that their young are coloured since all of the
young last year were coloured. Having said that we may just not have
seen any dark ones :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 14-01-2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.it289u6.pminews@ouse ...
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:32:04 -0600, Koi-lo wrote:

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.it17wv3.pminews@ou se...
We have some 5 year old ones that are still black although two of that
group did turn gold and white last year, some will never turn. They
were black originally before they were bred for colour and you always
get genetic throwbacks.

============================
And these dark ones will most likely be the last ones the predators get,
and
so get to reproduce longer and more will survive.

That's what I thought would happen but it seems that the the dark ones
aren't as successful or that their young are coloured since all of the
young last year were coloured. Having said that we may just not have
seen any dark ones :-)

=====================
There ya go! When I cleaned out my smallest inground pond last fall I found
5 dark, almost black goldfish I didn't know were in there - I never saw them
until most of the water was removed. I don't keep these because I don't
want genetic drift to slowly increase their numbers over time. No one will
buy or trade for them........

Old 18-01-2006, 09:44 AM posted to rec.ponds
jw 1111

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

[...]

guess you can always give to some people who have ponds and who are not too
fussy about the colour of their fish.

Old 18-01-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"jw 1111" wrote in message

"Koi-lo" wrote in message
There ya go! When I cleaned out my smallest inground pond last fall I
found 5 dark, almost black goldfish I didn't know were in there - I never
saw them until most of the water was removed. I don't keep these because
I don't want genetic drift to slowly increase their numbers over time.
No one will buy or trade for them........
--

guess you can always give to some people who have ponds and who are not
too fussy about the colour of their fish.

Most go to farm stock ponds. No one cares what kind of fish are keeping the
mosquitoes under control.