Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Kevin

Default Effects of Stainless Steel?

Hi group,
I am in the process of designing a formal pond for my Townhouse. In
the interest of making my life easier in the future, for maintenance
purposes, I am thinking of using stainless steel to create some of the
filter components.
Is anyone aware of any kind of detrimental effects that stainless
steel may have on the water chemistry which may affect the fish?
Is there a preference as to the type of stainless steel? I have found
good sources for type 304 and type 316 mesh in various mesh counts. The
main difference between the two from what I've read, is that type 316
has molybdenom added to the alloy. This makes it far more resistant to
oxidation, much stronger and resistent to thermal dispertion. I like
the idea of oxidation prevention, as well as the added strenth, but the
thermal factor doesn't even come into play for my purposes. That is
unless my pressure washer finds a way of producing temperatures
approaching 1400 degrees.
My main goals are for use as hardware (that will be exposed to the
water), removable baskets to hold filter media, and screening for
filter openings etc.. I may even consider machining or buying some
fountain nozzles or spray nozzles for distribution of water over filter
media.
Any input would be of help.

Thanks
Respectfully