Old 07-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Pam Morris

Default Stainless steel drum (was part of 2 questions)

To Dave Hill - who suggested "could you cover the outside with the moss you
would use for hanging baskets, wiring it in lace with green plastic covered
wire?"

Perforations only on what is now the bottom of the drum. I've sunk it into
the ground (roughly 50% showing above) and have filled it with the contents
of 3 growbags. It is in the middle of the garden and gets full sun all day.
Until I decide what will occupy it permanently I have put a large zebra
grass in it - but have kept it in it's original pot. Am considering a
Hibiscus (hence the 2nd original question) or maybe a small Sorbus (what do
you reckon - yes, no, maybe?).

To Franz Heymann who suggested " If you would like it to look like a
sandstone container, paint it with one
of those 2-component liquid resins. (The sort of thing used fopr car body
repairs, which you can get at a Halford shop.) Then overpaint it with the
setting agent and quickly sprinkle some dry sand all over the surface and
wait for it to set. The process is irreversible for practical purposes!"

A solution! I'll give that a go when the weather cools down and I regain my
energy.

To Jim W. who unintentionally wound me up but then turned on the flattery
with "Congratulations on your inventiveness and recycling initiative. I
wondered why anyone would want to get stainless steel and then effectivley
cause it to age, thats all. "There are NO stupiid questions" Peace.

Of course - hormones and heat have a lot to answer for!!

Thanks everyone.

Pam.

Old 07-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Morris" wrote in message

[snip]

To Franz Heymann who suggested " If you would like it to look like a
sandstone container, paint it with one
of those 2-component liquid resins. (The sort of thing used fopr car body
repairs, which you can get at a Halford shop.) Then overpaint it with the
setting agent and quickly sprinkle some dry sand all over the surface and
wait for it to set. The process is irreversible for practical purposes!"

A solution! I'll give that a go when the weather cools down and I regain

my
energy.

It would be nice to hear how you like the final product.
I once made an excellent alpine garden trough from a cracked pottery sink.

[snip]

Franz Heymann