Old 20-03-2003, 10:08 PM
LRobi31070

Default net

Where can i purchase a net to cover my pond while i mow? Every year it is the
same old battle with grass clippings. I am determined to do something different
this time.
Old 21-03-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

I am not sure you could net the pond to any benefit. The only netting that
I know of that would keep grass out would be window screening and I have not
seen it large enough to cover a pond. The net would have to come over the
side of the pond and if the lawnmower is close enough to the pond to throw
grass in the pond, I would worry about it grabbing the edge of the net.
Turn the mower to throw the debris toward the yard rather than toward the
pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-03-2003, 12:08 PM
LRobi31070

I have tried those ideas, but the wind always blows the clippings in one way or
another. I had decided this year i would do something different, but dont know
what that will be. Thanks for the ideas though. I have also used clippers and
tried to clip the grass. That was time consuming. I also built a bigger flower
bed around it so there wont be as much grass as close to the water.
Old 21-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Hal

If you want to cover the pond to keep grass clippings out try plastic.
Construction grade is fairly cheap and can be stored out of sunlight and
should last a long time.

My personal feeling is to cut the grass and use a pool dip net on
floating matter and press on.

Regards,

Hal

Old 21-03-2003, 03:32 PM

in material stores there is "wedding veil" netting.. usually pretty cheap. may have
to sew it .. or, try aquatic ecosystems, they got netting of every kind. INgrid
Old 21-03-2003, 06:44 PM
LRobi31070

Hal, that is exactly what i do-use a net to get the clippings out and press on!
LOL!
The wedding veil net is a great idea! I could also be cheap. i will price some
net and see. The nets Beckett and other places sell start at $30.00 and wont
stop grass clippings, only leaves and large debris.
Old 21-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Jon

How about making a shield for the mower. Block the exit off so it drops
straight down rather than out and make a rubber (old epdm) or sheet plastic
on the side of the pond and let it drag on the lawn to stop if from getting
airborne.... I live in the Phoenix desert and have rock in my yard.....

Jon

Old 21-03-2003, 10:20 PM
LRobi31070

I had thought of making some kind of a wall while mowing. i just havent figured
out how and with what. Lou Ann
Old 21-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Go to home depot and buy the shade clothes. That's what I have rigged up to
cover my pond come fall. and for now it provides shade!

6'x24' is $20 +/- and they come even larger than that. Nothing will get
through the shade clothes. They are also very sturdy , as such will last
very long time.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 22-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Jon has an idea Lou Ann,

Why don't you close the discharge of your mower and use a mulching blade.
You may still get some clippings but not as much as you would with a side
discharge mechanism.

Tom L.L.
-------------------------------

Old 22-03-2003, 02:20 AM
LRobi31070

i just ask for shade clothes? What department is this found in?
I like the muching idea too. I can try that. I have teenage sons who arent as
concerned for my pond as i am, so it gets grass in it every time.
Old 22-03-2003, 02:32 AM
John Rutz

garden dept

LRobi31070 wrote:
i just ask for shade clothes? What department is this found in?
I like the muching idea too. I can try that. I have teenage sons who arent as
concerned for my pond as i am, so it gets grass in it every time.

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 22-03-2003, 05:08 AM
mad

shade cloth, actually...
mad
--
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
lying in hospitals dying of nothing".

From: (LRobi31070)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 22 Mar 2003 02:13:59 GMT