Old 23-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Thunderbird84

Default Leaves...

Today it was finally warm enough for me to start getting my pond up and
running. I drained around 200 (of around 600) gallons from it and cleaned
out the leaves. I the water hoping that when I replaced the water, it would
dilute the tannins in my water.
It changed the color of my water from a dark, dark, dark tea color to a
not so dark, dark, dark tea color. My question is, would I be better off
draining the whole pond and putting new water in, or is there a way to use
carbon to do it; and how much would I need?
Also, I'm looking for a new out of pond filter. I've made my own, but
this season I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm looking for one rated
for 1000 gallons. Can anyone give me some websites or brandnames to look
at?
Thanks,
Bob

--

Take ME away to reply

Check out my personal page at:
http://members.tripod.com/Trains99
Click on the My Pond button on the left to see my pond.

Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Thunderbird84

I'm starting to lean towards a TetraPond PF-3 for my 600g pond. The filter
is rated for a 2,400 gallons (which translates to roughly 500 gallons) at
1000 GPH. I've found it for a price of $80.00USD. Anyone else have any
experience with this filter?

Old 24-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Steve in 236

600 gallons of water is a small enough volume to be effectively treated with
carbon, and carbon will remove the tannins for a short while. The trouble
is, the carbon activation will be used up quickly and the color will return
unless you remove the source of the tannins. Is it dead leaves or
driftwood? If it's leaves, do your best to remove as many as possible. If
it is driftwood you will have to ask yourself if the benefits and aesthetic
beauty of the wood outweigh the tannin problem.

The only reason to drain a whole pond is if you are planning to move it.
Starting "fresh" with a sterile, clean environment may seem like a good
idea, but cycling a new pond with established life in it is a recipe for
disaster, especially in the spring. Remember, your fish, plants and other
charges have just been through the hardest season of the year, and if you
live in the North East, it's been a particularly harsh one. Your friends
are at their weakest. Any additional stress should be avoided.

Old 25-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Michael Shaffer

If you decide to drain it out use a leaf blower, makes it much easier to
clean all that crap out and you don't even have to get dirty. I just did
mine yesterday and the water is perfectly clear now =) This is what it
used to look like

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/pond.jpg

Old 25-03-2003, 08:08 PM

Jan uses some carbon filter material to keep her pond water clear. She got it from
aquatic ecosystems I think. other than that try smaller 100 gallon water changes and
over time it will dilute the color. the Little Sisters are considered first rate and
easy to clean. Ingrid

Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
~ jan

I do use the carbon filter material, more to polish the already clear water
than to clear it. Ever since I went to window screening and leaving it on
from fall to spring, tannins haven't been a problem at all. ) ~ jan

"Thunderbird84" wrote:

Today it was finally warm enough for me to start getting my pond up and
running. I drained around 200 (of around 600) gallons from it and cleaned
out the leaves. I the water hoping that when I replaced the water, it would
dilute the tannins in my water.
It changed the color of my water from a dark, dark, dark tea color to a
not so dark, dark, dark tea color. My question is, would I be better off
draining the whole pond and putting new water in, or is there a way to use
carbon to do it; and how much would I need?
Also, I'm looking for a new out of pond filter. I've made my own, but
this season I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm looking for one rated
for 1000 gallons. Can anyone give me some websites or brandnames to look
at?
Thanks,
Bob

See my ponds and filter design: