Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Wintering plants inside

If you have wintered over bog lily, taros, palms, etc. this is a good time
to add wind. Wait till there is a new leaf coming up, trim off the old and
start using an oscillating fan to stimulate stronger stems. They should
endure spring winds outside by doing this. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tom Puskar

My wife says I'm full of hot air, think that'll work?

Some of my Palms, Taros and Cana are 4-5 feet tall. I am concerned that
once I move them back outside they will be vulnerable to winds. I was
planning to stake them with bamboo stakes but training them might be an
interesting idea as well. I think I'd need more than a small fan, however.

My plants haven't prospered over the Winter like this before and they all
really are in need of splitting. Some of the pots are bursting. I'm not
sure what sequence to use to split them. Should I split them in the next
few weeks (I'm in NJ and will probably put them back outside in April or May
depending on the weather) and let them acclimate in the house or should I
wait and move them outside, give them a few weeks and then split them?

In any even, I may need to sell, trade or give some away since I don't have
room for what I have now and once I split them it will be even worse.

Cheers,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:21:05 -0500, "Tom Puskar" wrote:

My wife says I'm full of hot air, think that'll work?

Only if it is gusty and directed towards the plants. ;o)

My plants haven't prospered over the Winter like this before and they all
really are in need of splitting. Some of the pots are bursting. I'm not
sure what sequence to use to split them. Should I split them in the next
few weeks (I'm in NJ and will probably put them back outside in April or May
depending on the weather) and let them acclimate in the house or should I
wait and move them outside, give them a few weeks and then split them?

Close to you, usually I can put plants out in a protected area the end of
March. I've always waited till then to decide whether to split them. Too
messy to work with them inside, not to mention my inner-gardener doesn't
wake up till about that time.

Currently my tallest plant is a violet stemmed taro at 5 feet. I wish I
could have kept a fan on them all winter, but my hot flashes took
precedence. I need to work it out so it hits us both. ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
My wife says I'm full of hot air, think that'll work?

Some of my Palms, Taros and Cana are 4-5 feet tall. I am concerned that
once I move them back outside they will be vulnerable to winds. I was
planning to stake them with bamboo stakes but training them might be an
interesting idea as well. I think I'd need more than a small fan,
however.

They will also be vulnerable to "sun scald." It's safer to place them in
semi-shade at first, then slowly bring them out into more and more sun.

My plants haven't prospered over the Winter like this before and they all
really are in need of splitting. Some of the pots are bursting. I'm not
sure what sequence to use to split them. Should I split them in the next
few weeks (I'm in NJ and will probably put them back outside in April or
May depending on the weather) and let them acclimate in the house or
should I wait and move them outside, give them a few weeks and then split
them?

I split mine in the spring when I bring them outside. No mess in the house
that way. They're kept in the semi-shade (under trees) and moved over a 2
week (or so) period into the bright open sun.

In any even, I may need to sell, trade or give some away since I don't
have room for what I have now and once I split them it will be even worse.

Ask around. Some FSs will buy or trade you for nice home grown pond plants.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 14-02-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

~ janj wrote:

If you have wintered over bog lily, taros, palms, etc. this is a good time
to add wind. Wait till there is a new leaf coming up, trim off the old and
start using an oscillating fan to stimulate stronger stems. They should
endure spring winds outside by doing this. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

What if you cut them back just before putting them out and allow the new
growth to grow up outside? That is what I plan to do with my plants
that survived over wintering inside. Of course, here in Colorado
Springs, we are still looking at about 8 more weeks of very chilly and
unpredictable weather and temperatures.
W. Dale

Old 14-02-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

What if you cut them back just before putting them out and allow the new
growth to grow up outside? W. Dale

That absolutely will work! )

I have such a hard time of doing that though. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside? Mud Ponds 10 13-12-2005 04:33 PM
Over-wintering Aubergine plants? Colin Malsingh Edible Gardening 1 30-09-2003 08:02 PM
Over-wintering Aubergine plants? Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 30-09-2003 06:02 PM
wintering bog plants *muffin* Ponds 1 11-09-2003 12:23 AM
Wintering pond fish inside Mark & Kathy Mills Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:45 PM