Old 20-02-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
chuckie

Default Pond Question

Hi all I am new and though it is early in the year I am thinking about
ponds.
I work on a very large estate and have the responsibility of taking
care some small man made ponds. Fish used to habitate these pond but
the racoons in the area will eat the fish. So for the last three years
the ponds have just been filled with plants.
Now these are pond with no shade except for the plants that grow in
them. The one is only about three ft deep and the other is about four
ft.
Is there any way to keep the coons away and what type of fish would be
suited best for these ponds.
Thanks in advanced.
Chuckie in the thawing north, zone 5

Old 20-02-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all I am new and though it is early in the year I am thinking about
ponds.
I work on a very large estate and have the responsibility of taking
care some small man made ponds. Fish used to habitate these pond but
the racoons in the area will eat the fish. So for the last three years
the ponds have just been filled with plants.
Now these are pond with no shade except for the plants that grow in
them. The one is only about three ft deep and the other is about four
ft.
Is there any way to keep the coons away and what type of fish would be
suited best for these ponds.

An electric fence should work, or one of those motion detector sprayers.
Are you sure it's coons getting all the fish? Shubunkins or Comet goldfish
should do well in these ponds and would he hard for a coon to catch. But
where there are coons there are almost always herons, Kingfishers, water
snakes, bullfrogs and other fish eaters. Only a net will keep them all out.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old 20-02-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
chuckie

How I put a net across the pond would I just lay it on the surface?
If I did that the plants would get tangeled up in it.
I guees I should mention that I have to pull all of the plants out of
the pond once a year and prune and repot most of them. and at the same
time drain the ponds and put fresh water in them again.
Thank you I had not thought of a net.
Chuckie

Old 20-02-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
How I put a net across the pond would I just lay it on the surface?

No. It must be supported above the surface. See by website below. Use the
fine black bird nets as they're the least visible of the nets.

If I did that the plants would get tangeled up in it.
I guees I should mention that I have to pull all of the plants out of
the pond once a year and prune and repot most of them. and at the same
time drain the ponds and put fresh water in them again.

The nets are removed for yearly chores. If it's only raccoons you can try
the motion sprayers.

Old 20-02-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"chuckie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank You I have a better idea of what to do now by looking at your
pictures.
You have a beautiful landscape.

Thank you. :-)

I am a little afraid of the motion sprinklers because I may be the
target that will get hit, though it may be nice on a hot day.
Thanks I will look into a net.

In my area (Tennessee) the best prices for these bird nets is to be found at
ACE Hardware stores. Good luck!