Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Zeuspaul

Default National Geographic and water hyacinth

LRobi31070 wrote:

I live in OK and it doesnt keep over winter either. I dont have great luck
with it, but my friend down the highway does! Location, location, is right!

I have two preform ponds within ten feet of each other. WH thrives in one but
not the other. It thrives in the pond that gets a *little* morning shade. WH
does not thrive in a third preform that gets a lot more shade.

Zeuspaul

Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
LRobi31070

Isnt it funny how things grow! I have never had muck luck with the WH but i am
going to try again this year in my veggie filter where it can be crowded.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Good point! But what was Eve, the Architect that started this cascade of
messing with nature?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"~ jan" wrote in message
Reminds me of St Johns US Virgin Islands.

The ships brought in rats by accident, then the plantation owners brought

in
snake to kill rats, snake is out of control.

Then comes mongoose to eat snake, now mongoose is totally out of control.
Being that it is an island, and no mongoose predator, mongoose remains

out
of control, eating domestic livestock, etc. decades later still no

solution
to mongoose problem.

Moral of the story: Left alone nature will not screw up!

Is man not a part of "nature" ? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Lee Brouillet

Close, but it wasn't introduced by a ponder. It was purposely introduced to
clear up the water back in the 1880's. Another theory is that it was
brought back from the Cottom Exposition in LA during a fair in 1885 and put
them in the St. Johns River. Ponders adopted it for the same reasons it was
imported: for it's ability to filter water. However, it's a monster
unleashed in open water systems. Basically, in the State of FL, it's illegal
to even *own* the plant without a permit. However, if it "is" owned,
responsible disposal is a MUST. Regardless of how they got here, they cause
a lot of problems. Florida has a lot of plants that were introduced by
well-meaning folks looking for a "slice of home", but 99 times out of 100,
they become MAJOR problems.

Lee

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hyacin2.html
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/inv...%20pubs/hyacin
th.pdf
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...s/aqua010.html

"Harriett Wright" wrote in message
Hi Ken et al

My home state of Florida has had a similar problem, now fairly well under
control to the tune of about a million bucks a year. The story goes that
they were deliberately introduced by someone who had way too many in his
pond, so he dumped the excess into a local waterway, somehow failing to
equate their exponential growth in his pond to what would happen in the
wild. They quickly spread to every body of water in the state, becomming

major hazard to navigation. I remember, as a child, looking at my

cousin's
rowboat, out of reach in the middle of an inlet packed from bank to bank
with hyacinths. I understand that water hyacinths are a big problem in

many
tropical and subtropical parts of the world. Pretty as they are, I can't
stand the sight of them. Except for one tropical waterlily, I use only
indigenous plants in my pond.

Harriett

"KenCo" wrote in message
Craig Cagle wrote:

Hi all. I just watched a special program on National Geographic

channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in Africa. They

said
it doubles in area every 14 days! Apparently there is so much of it
fishermen get stranded in it for days and must be rescued. It's

messing
up
the ecosystem there as well as keeping people from making their only

means
of income. And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this

spring...
Craig

and now for the rest of the story

1st, Lake Victoria is about the size of NY state!

a resort hotel brought the WH in to clean the water
so people could swim in clear water BUT! then the WH
started taking over.

the resort hotel now brings in a fish to eat the WH,
the Nile perch (3'+ adult) and only worries about
being eaten by Nile Crocodiles.

the Nile perch now decides that the WH isnt as good to
eat as the local cichlids, haps. etc. and decimated
the indigenous fish population to near extinction
the only survivors were the smaller types that could
hide in the rocky areas.

a captive breeding program was started in the early 70's
to replace the near extinct fish but wasnt nearly enough
to restock the ind. species

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:45 PM
~ jan

You missed the other point. Man is a part of nature, so therefore nature
does screw up. ;o)

IMO, If G*d hadn't wanted Eve to eat the apple, he never would have put it
there in the first place. If children don't have a good reason to become
independent, they never will. Can you imagine G*d/nature supporting all the
children of Adam & Eve without them (us) hoeing or sowing?

I know my 19 yo can't wait to get out from under our 11pm curfew (10pm on
school nights). Funny thing, he's going in the Army to escape. beg ~ jan

Old 10-04-2003, 03:44 PM
mad

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!
mad
--
_---V
/ O O \

From: ~ jan
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:36:36 -0700
Subject: National Geographic and water hyacinth

Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
MLF

Craig Cagle wrote:
Hi all. I just watched a special program on National

Geographic channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in

Africa.
And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this spring...

We have the same problem in the US with water hyacinth and many
other plants. It is a serious and, so far, unsolvable problem.
People just don't know or don't care and spread the problem plants.
I know that ponders are generally more conscientious than 'average'
folks, and I trust that none of you are making matters worse.

Have a look at the following to get a list of invasive and
problematic plants:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds/

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/index.htm

BTW: Different plants are prohibited in different states. Visit your
state's Dept. of Agriculture website to find out.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)