Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Craig Cagle

Default National Geographic and water hyacinth

Hi all. I just watched a special program on National Geographic channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in Africa. They said
it doubles in area every 14 days! Apparently there is so much of it
fishermen get stranded in it for days and must be rescued. It's messing up
the ecosystem there as well as keeping people from making their only means
of income. And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this spring...
Craig

Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Michael Shaffer

That stuff grows like crazy. I had some in my pond last summer and it
took over the whole thing.

Old 05-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Priscilla McCullough

I never really had any luck with water hyacinth. I don't know if it got to
much sun or to little.
What took over my ponds is the Parrots Feature. I had a mess with that
stuff. Poor fish didn't hardly have any room to swim when I came home on
vacation one summer.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Nedra

No one has said where they are located! Location, location,
location. Makes all the difference. Here in Missouri it only
lasts until the first frost. Lake Victoria in Africa is a good TV
program but has no application for someone as far north as
I am.

Nedra

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
LRobi31070

I live in OK and it doesnt keep over winter either. I dont have great luck
with it, but my friend down the highway does! Location, location, is right!

Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

But it does for someone as far south west as I am in Southern California.
And I'm sure it also does for those in this group leaving in South Africa,
or Australia, or similar weather belt. We need to keep remembering that
this is world wide web, not USA web, no?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

Old 05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Nedra

Well... Duh! ... Just me Koi ;-)
Nedra

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
news
But it does for someone as far south west as I am in Southern California.
And I'm sure it also does for those in this group leaving in South Africa,
or Australia, or similar weather belt. We need to keep remembering that
this is world wide web, not USA web, no?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

Old 05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Sorry Nedra, hope my response was not out of line. If it was then my
apologies ;-(

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Well... Duh! ... Just me Koi ;-)
Nedra

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
news
But it does for someone as far south west as I am in Southern

California.
And I'm sure it also does for those in this group leaving in South

Africa,
or Australia, or similar weather belt. We need to keep remembering that
this is world wide web, not USA web, no?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

Old 05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Charles

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 04:05:49 GMT, "Craig Cagle"
wrote:

Hi all. I just watched a special program on National Geographic channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in Africa. They said
it doubles in area every 14 days! Apparently there is so much of it
fishermen get stranded in it for days and must be rescued. It's messing up
the ecosystem there as well as keeping people from making their only means
of income. And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this spring...
Craig

I think it is great in the pond, as long as you can take it out when
you need to. It pulls out lots of excess nutrients which otherwise
would feed the algae.
_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Nedra

Hey, no problem, Just Me. Had to remind you that I'm
aware that rec.ponds is indeed world wide ;-)

Nedra

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Sorry Nedra, hope my response was not out of line. If it was then my
apologies ;-(

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Well... Duh! ... Just me Koi ;-)
Nedra

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
news
But it does for someone as far south west as I am in Southern

California.
And I'm sure it also does for those in this group leaving in South

Africa,
or Australia, or similar weather belt. We need to keep remembering

that
this is world wide web, not USA web, no?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

hlink.net...

Old 05-04-2003, 06:56 PM
KenCo

Craig Cagle wrote:

Hi all. I just watched a special program on National Geographic channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in Africa. They said
it doubles in area every 14 days! Apparently there is so much of it
fishermen get stranded in it for days and must be rescued. It's messing up
the ecosystem there as well as keeping people from making their only means
of income. And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this spring...
Craig

and now for the rest of the story

1st, Lake Victoria is about the size of NY state!

a resort hotel brought the WH in to clean the water
so people could swim in clear water BUT! then the WH
started taking over.

the resort hotel now brings in a fish to eat the WH,
the Nile perch (3'+ adult) and only worries about
being eaten by Nile Crocodiles.

the Nile perch now decides that the WH isnt as good to
eat as the local cichlids, haps. etc. and decimated
the indigenous fish population to near extinction
the only survivors were the smaller types that could
hide in the rocky areas.

a captive breeding program was started in the early 70's
to replace the near extinct fish but wasnt nearly enough
to restock the ind. species

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Reminds me of St Johns US Virgin Islands.

The ships brought in rats by accident, then the plantation owners brought in
snake to kill rats, snake is out of control.

Then comes mongoose to eat snake, now mongoose is totally out of control.
Being that it is an island, and no mongoose predator, mongoose remains out
of control, eating domestic livestock, etc. decades later still no solution
to mongoose problem.

Moral of the story: Left alone nature will not screw up!

--
_______________________________________

Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM
mad

then there's kudzu. 'nuff said...
mad
--
All stressed out and no one to choke...

Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Tom La Bron

I am from OK also, and I always had excellent luck with it, to the point
that I had to pull it out all the time and put in the compost pile all
through the summer. Eventually I stopped buying my one usual plant every
spring and went with water celery contained in a Rubbermaid tote where the
water from one of the cascades drops into the middle of it.

The water celery is great because is comes back every year. My water
hyacinth roots would get 18 inches long and were always messy to when I
pulled them out because of everything that they caught as the water flowed
through them.

The other problem with the WH was that it competed with the water lilies, so
that is another reason I went with the water celery.

A friend would aways come and get WH from me for his ponds thinking that
mine had something special going for them, but they very quickly started
looking just like his. It was decided that the WH did so badly in his pond
because the 3 KOI that he had kept the roots eaten off short. I have only
Goldfish and they do not bother the roots. So if you are not having good
luck with the WH, it may be do to KOI, if you have them. Like I said my WH
would have a root system 18 inches long or longer and would have a root mass
diameter of about 6 inches when pulled out of the pond, while his had just
clumpy little roots on the bottom of the plants. We deduced that the large
root system was necessary for huge vibrant plants, at least around here.

Tom L.L.
-------------------

Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 PM
~ jan

Reminds me of St Johns US Virgin Islands.

The ships brought in rats by accident, then the plantation owners brought in
snake to kill rats, snake is out of control.

Then comes mongoose to eat snake, now mongoose is totally out of control.
Being that it is an island, and no mongoose predator, mongoose remains out
of control, eating domestic livestock, etc. decades later still no solution
to mongoose problem.

Moral of the story: Left alone nature will not screw up!

Is man not a part of "nature" ? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a