Old 13-03-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default Pond temperature schedule

Can somebody post a rundown of when to start certain
procedures below for a pond coming out of winter hibernation.

I'm getting that itch again.

1) plants
2) bio filter
3) waterfall
4 sludge cleaning
5) anything else I missed

thanks
Old 13-03-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Can somebody post a rundown of when to start certain
procedures below for a pond coming out of winter hibernation.

I'm getting that itch again.

1) plants

I start transplanting as soon as they show new growth - like NOW. Water
lilies will be divided the next warm spell we have.

2) bio filter

I turned that on last week.

3) waterfall
4 sludge cleaning

We did that last fall so will skip this spring. All tanks/pools/tubs behind
the house were already cleaned.

5) anything else I missed

thanks

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 13-03-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Koi-Lo wrote:

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Can somebody post a rundown of when to start certain
procedures below for a pond coming out of winter hibernation.

I'm getting that itch again.

1) plants

I start transplanting as soon as they show new growth - like NOW. Water
lilies will be divided the next warm spell we have.

2) bio filter

I turned that on last week.

3) waterfall
4 sludge cleaning

We did that last fall so will skip this spring. All tanks/pools/tubs
behind the house were already cleaned.

5) anything else I missed

thanks

We are in southern Ontario and although it has been above freezing there
is still a risk of snow on any given day. Is it still safe to turn on
the BIO and put in the plants (hardy water lilies)?
Old 13-03-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

We are in southern Ontario and although it has been above freezing there
is still a risk of snow on any given day. Is it still safe to turn on
the BIO and put in the plants (hardy water lilies)?

Sure. At this point, you're not going to give the fish a chill - you're not
going to get much activity in a bio-filter, either, but the sooner you get
it working, the better.

When I lived in St. Thomas, the hardy lilies never came _out_ of the pond
for winter.
--
derek
Old 13-03-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message

We are in southern Ontario and although it has been above freezing there
is still a risk of snow on any given day. Is it still safe to turn on the
BIO and put in the plants (hardy water lilies)?

====================
I turn my pumps an filters on when the water gets above 50F. If it drops
back into the mid 40s I'll shut it off. Sine there isn't much bio activity
I don't find they get smelly after being off when it's in the 40s. I leave
my hardy lilies out all winter with no problems at all.

Old 14-03-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds

get aeration going.
start with a bucket filter in the pond. that way the biofilter material gets loaded
and works before it is moved into the filter for the waterfall.
do a water change and run much warmer water into the pond to warm it up (if the temp
is going to stay up).
wait to clean sludge until the temp has been up above 55oF for 8-10 days. then the
fish immune system will be up and running.
after sludge cleaning get waterfall going.
then plants in the pond
plants above the pond
UV only after biofilter is booking. dont remove algae until something else is using
up the nutrients.
Ingrid

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

Can somebody post a rundown of when to start certain
procedures below for a pond coming out of winter hibernation.

I'm getting that itch again.

1) plants
2) bio filter
3) waterfall
4 sludge cleaning
5) anything else I missed

thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 14-03-2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

We are in southern Ontario and although it has been above freezing there
is still a risk of snow on any given day. Is it still safe to turn on
the BIO and put in the plants (hardy water lilies)?

Where? There's a big difference between Bancroft and Windsor, both
in Southern Ontario.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 15-03-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Time permitting, my schedule:

1) plants

Any nice day in spring.

2) bio filter

I run mine on slow flow all winter, start it up totally as soon as
water temp gets up to 45-50 and weather forecast says temps are going to
continue on the increase.

3) waterfall

See 2). I don't run main waterfall thru winter.

4 sludge cleaning

Fall. Unless not done last fall. ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Pond cleaning schedule Mike C Ponds 13 18-10-2005 11:50 PM
Bio-max vs nitrate PMDD was filter cleaning schedule... NetMax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-05-2003 05:08 PM
west houston st. augustine fertilizer schedule doug bombard Gardening 3 10-02-2003 08:55 PM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM
Schedule "T" Question to Foresters JimiFromMI alt.forestry 6 05-01-2003 10:28 PM