Old 25-03-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Oxymel of Squill

Default barley straw

I know it releases something as it rots, but does it reach a point when it's
of no further use and should be replaced? How long is its useful life?
thanks

Old 25-03-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I know it releases something as it rots, but does it reach a point when
it's of no further use and should be replaced? How long is its useful life?
thanks

I would suspect that once it's mostly rotted away would be a good time to
replace it..

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 25-03-2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I know it releases something as it rots, but does it reach a point when
it's of no further use and should be replaced? How long is its useful life?
thanks

==================
Wouldn't that depend on the size of your pond, the temperature, the
fish-load and and when you saw the algae returning?
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 25-03-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel E Preston

It releases Hydrogen Peroxide thats it. I did away with the straw and
add a large bottle once a month. I am not sure how long the straw is
good for

Old 25-03-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Oxymel of Squill

"Daniel E Preston" wrote in message
It releases Hydrogen Peroxide thats it. I did away with the straw and
add a large bottle once a month. I am not sure how long the straw is
good for

that's v interesting - what are the proportions? My pond is about 600 (UK)
gallons

cheers

Old 25-03-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

I know it releases something as it rots, but does it reach a point when it's
of no further use and should be replaced? How long is its useful life?
thanks

They typically say to put it in well before plants green up and then
change it at mid season. I use it the full season and the need
diminishes as the season progresses and my plants do a better job of
filtering nutrients. Actually, mine was in the pond the full season and
I dried it out and it looks the same as when I put it in. There is no
visible rot. I use real straw, not the processed products. I can't
speak for them.

Regarding dosage, I follow the instructions for the product I use which
are at:

http://www.baleinabag.net/pondtreat.asp
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 25-03-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

http://tinyurl.com/99azt
http://tinyurl.com/87ow4
http://tinyurl.com/d6t5m
http://tinyurl.com/aheek
http://tinyurl.com/ck97r
http://tinyurl.com/cm3dp
http://tinyurl.com/8bscg
http://tinyurl.com/7epdg
http://tinyurl.com/bya3z

Old 27-03-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ews.net,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:

"Daniel E Preston" wrote in message
.. .
It releases Hydrogen Peroxide thats it. I did away with the straw and
add a large bottle once a month. I am not sure how long the straw is
good for

that's v interesting - what are the proportions? My pond is about 600 (UK)
gallons

The amounnt it releases is miniscule. I experimented for a year adding
h202 direclty. There is no safe dose. Either it has zero effect on algae
or it kills the good bacteria (and in larger doses, everything else).

I've never seen an explantion as to why barly stray works. Floating
plants and proper fertilization make MUCH more sense. And work better.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 31-03-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Ronnie

How much would you use for a pond that will have
2000 (US) gallons ?

Ronnie
--
*When one candle burns out..
Another is lit*

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:

. ..

Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley Straw tasha Ponds 5 26-11-2003 12:02 AM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM