Old 08-04-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Default Algae control with mainly bacteria and salt?

Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the show on
ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of beneficial
bacteria, and rock salt.

Thoughts?

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 08-04-2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Here's the link to the web info:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_w...597675,00.html

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds

Gareee© wrote:
Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the show on
ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of beneficial
bacteria, and rock salt.

Thoughts?

Yeah your invited to Kill-a-koi festival:

Koi-lo aka Carolyn Adamo Gulley
Maiden name Witkowski born 1944
Current "husband":
Randy R. born 1946
3245 North Lamar Road Mount Juliet TN 37122-7806

Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

no.... to either. salt only 0.05 - 0.1% and no more.
you have to remember that a LOT of these shows on TV use "personalities" ... people
who are self promoting and really dont know much of anything.
Ingrid

"Gareee©" wrote:

Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the show on
ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of beneficial
bacteria, and rock salt.

Thoughts?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting Gareee© at
was heard opining:

Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the
show on ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of
beneficial bacteria, and rock salt.

Thoughts?

=======================
Sounds like they've come up with yet another unnecessary product to *sell*
to pond-keepers. ;-) Just my opinion of course.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Sounds like they've come up with yet another unnecessary product to *sell*
to pond-keepers. ;-) Just my opinion of course.

I dunno.. I really enjoy his show, and he's always had some excellent advise
and tips.

He also has his own koi pond/stream, and it looks excellent.

They usually do most of the shows in his yard, and he showcases what he's
done, and how he does it.

Plus, he's also pretty creative and funny.

Wish I woulda taped it.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 09-04-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Sounds like they've come up with yet another unnecessary product to
*sell* to pond-keepers. ;-) Just my opinion of course.

I dunno.. I really enjoy his show, and he's always had some excellent
advise and tips.

==============
First they sell us UV lights to kill algae, free swimming parasites and bad
bacteria. Then they sell us bacteria! How did people keep ponds over all
these eons without all these products? I suppose if you think you may need
them there's no harm in adding them. I don't use salt in my ponds because
of all the plants and personally, I see no need for it. But here again,
it's whatever works for YOU. :-)

Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I use to use weekly bacteria, BZT. Now I just use it if something is "off".
Last year's "off" was water not being as polished as I'd like. I think I
used it twice. Ever since I've kept the filter running on slow mo thru
winter I haven't had to jump start it.

Salt. I usually keep it up around what Ingrid mentioned 0.05-0.1%,
sometimes a tad higher in spring. I also do a Prazi treatment spring & fall
for flukes.

For the lily pond I don't use any salt, and rarely BZT, and then I'm using
it more for the enzyme action to help break down mulm.

That's my MO. :-) ~ jan

-----------------
Old 09-04-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the show on
ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of beneficial
bacteria, and rock salt.

Every surface on this planet is covered with a mixture of beneficial and
undesirable bacteria. When the system is balanced, you don't need to
continually inject additional beneficial bacteria to the system.

Take for example bad breath, the leading cause is an imbalance, and
excessive anaerobic bacteria which release sulfur compounds. Proper dental
hygiene restores the balance. You don't need to brush your teeth with
beneficial bacteria paste, because the beneficial bacteria are already
there.

Same with your pond, properly aerated, good water flow, and proper plant
balance is all that is needed. I have never added beneficial bacteria to my
pond, and I have acceptably clear pond water, no algae problems (except the
spring algae bloom) and no swamp smells.

Realize that the almost every show on HGTV is really an advertisement,
they're an endless series of product placements. At least when you watch
powerblock on SpikeTV, they're upfront about getting all their parts from
JEGS.

-S

Old 09-04-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Snooze" wrote in message
et...

Realize that the almost every show on HGTV is really an advertisement,
they're an endless series of product placements. At least when you watch
powerblock on SpikeTV, they're upfront about getting all their parts from
JEGS.

I'll respectfully disagree.. I watch quite a number of shows on HGTV, and
while some are self serving, the majority IMHO, as good informative shows
without product brand affiliation.

In the show I mentioned, a skimmer, the bacteria and a pump were mentioned,
however there were no brands mentioned at all, and there were no commercials
related to the products shown in use.

Even in the webpage about the show, no links are provided to vendors, or
even online retailers.

Some shows, (specifically craft shows) do seem to be advertising slated, but
in many of those cases, they are using new crafting products that would be
difficult to locate without product naming.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

Hi Ingrid - I agree with you on the salt, but not the bacteria - I have been
using it for 7 or 8 years on a weekly basis - prior to that, I had
filamentous (sp? - string) algae all thru my lilies and hanging down the
sides of the pond - right now, I have it starting to grow on the sides, but
once I get some shade from lily pads and have added bacteria for a few
weeks, I know it will start to recede and be gone by June as always in the
past. The beneficial bacteria I add is already present in the pond, all I am
doing is "boosting" the concentration of it (temporarily)as I know my pond
is stocked too heavy (~ 50 fish 3 koi, rest various GF in ~ 1000 gal US) as
are most backyard ponds - I should have ~ 8 or 9 GF, but I gave up trying to
maintain that amt., and I love my many pets :~)
Gale :~)
no.... to either. salt only 0.05 - 0.1% and no more.

Just saw Gardening by the yard on HGTV today, and they had 1/2 the show on
ponds and care.. they recommended using a weekly dose of beneficial
bacteria, and rock salt.

Thoughts?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"G Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Ingrid - I agree with you on the salt, but not the bacteria - I have
been using it for 7 or 8 years on a weekly basis - prior to that, I had
filamentous (sp? - string) algae all thru my lilies and hanging down the
sides of the pond - right now, I have it starting to grow on the sides,
but once I get some shade from lily pads and have added bacteria for a few
weeks, I know it will start to recede and be gone by June as always in the
past. The beneficial bacteria I add is already present in the pond, all I
am doing is "boosting" the concentration of it (temporarily)as I know my
pond is stocked too heavy (~ 50 fish 3 koi, rest various GF in ~ 1000 gal
US) as are most backyard ponds - I should have ~ 8 or 9 GF, but I gave up
trying to maintain that amt., and I love my many pets :~)

===================
They're easy to sex this time of year. You have to clean the pond sooner or
later anyway. Just keep the best males. You wont have any more problems
with overstocking. We're draining down our 2000g next week to remove 8
young koi spawned last summer, and about 1/3 of the adults. I don't keep GF
in the larger ponds anymore.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Aquarium FAQ are at: http://faq.thekrib.com/
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 14-04-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Olde Hippee

G Pearce wrote:
[...]

Hi Gale, I'm interested in what you use as a beneficial bacteria. I
used to frequent this group all the time, but haven't been here
recently. We were looking at (now don't freak out), Rid-X as it is a
beneficial bacteria for septics. Two of the beneficial bacteria that I
have purchased for the pond at great cost looked and smelled just like
it. DH said one of his friends at work used Rid-X, but thought he'd
used too much as it killed some of his fish. I'm betting there is a
safe effective dose of it that can be used, but I'm not willing to
sacrifice any fish to find out!!!
There is something that I know Jan used to use, and I think it came
from Ken's, but I can't remember the rest of the name of the place.
What is the one you used?
thanks for the help,
Olde Hippee, Nan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Old 15-04-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 14 Apr 2006 13:16:23 -0700, "Olde Hippee" wrote:

There is something that I know Jan used to use, and I think it came
from Ken's, but I can't remember the rest of the name of the place.
What is the one you used? thanks for the help,
Olde Hippee, Nan

Remember CSA? Well it is now BZT and can be purchased from:

United-Tech. -- Google for it perhaps?
In 2002 it was $34.45 plus shipping for 8 ozs. if you request Rob's
Ponder Special.
1-888-999-0545

So check there, maybe you can give us some updated information.
~ jan
-----------------
Old 15-04-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

I have been
using it for 7 or 8 years on a weekly basis - prior to that, I had
filamentous (sp? - string0 fish 3 koi, rest various GF in ~ 1000 gal US)
as
are most backyard ponds - I should have ~ 8 or 9 GF, but I gave up trying
maintain that amt., and I love my many pets :~)
Gale :~)

Hi Gale, I'm interested in what you use as a beneficial bacteria.

Hi Nan - I use Bacta Pur Klear and / or SludgeBuster - A $23 Can bottle
(liter) does me the whole season (~1000 gal US) - I run out about Sept,
but the pond bottom is clean and string algae is long gone. I no longer have
to keep dealing with the sludge (mulm) on the bottom of the pond. The
bacteria additive eats it up, as well as what ever was feeding the string
algae I had. It seems to give the pond water a polished look. Jan used a
different product, but I can't remember the name - Jan?
Gale :~)