Old 14-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Default Need some advice concering my pond

I have a pond in my small garden, in Tel-Aviv Israel. For the last 10 years I didn't use any filter, pump or food, the fish looked very happy and there where no deaths or illnesses, mother earth took care of the pond.

recently I decided I want clear water so I can see the fish, so I added a bio filter with a pump (4000 L/h 1000 G/h), built a waterfall & added some plants, the pond holds 2500 Liters(660 Gallons), it's 6 hours in the sun, the water temperature is 25C (75F), and the PH level is 7.4

so now you have the background and you have an image attached, I have two questions :

1. I brought a beautiful hardy water Lilly (Nymphaea 'Marliacea Albida') that we're blooming in the shop and had another bloom on the way, I put the plant in the water (60cm deep-like in the shop), the flower bloomed for 3 days and then never opened again and went back into the water, the other closed bloom, that were on the way, got detached from the mother plant after a few days. is it natural ? adjusting to the new environment ? Will it bloom again this year?
2. the water looked clear and beautiful for a week and then became green-brown including the waterfall stones, the fish still look happy and energetic and the plants green and fresh, will the water become clear again after the pond will balance it-self

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need some advice concering my pond-mypond.jpg
Old 15-04-2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

"zigi11" wrote in message

[...]

Blooms last only a few days and then die.

adjusting to the new environment ? Will it bloom again this year?
2. the water looked clear and beautiful for a week and then became
green-brown including the waterfall stones,

Fish like to root in the dirt.

the fish still look happy
and energetic and the plants green and fresh, will the water become
clear again after the pond will balance it-self

Thanks

|Filename: MyPond.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2899|

zigi11

Old 15-04-2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

1. I brought a beautiful hardy water Lilly (Nymphaea 'Marliacea
Albida') that we're blooming in the shop and had another bloom on the
way, I put the plant in the water (60cm deep-like in the shop), the
flower bloomed for 3 days and then never opened again and went back
into the water, the other closed bloom, that were on the way, got
detached from the mother plant after a few days. is it natural ?

Yes, lilies only bloom for 3 days, maybe 4 if the weather is cool. At which
time one should pinch it off at the base.

adjusting to the new environment ? Will it bloom again this year?

As far as the other buds, I assume they got damaged in transplanting, but
it will get more buds. Just keep the old ones pinched off and feed the
plant with lily tabs or equivalent.

2. the water looked clear and beautiful for a week and then became
green-brown including the waterfall stones, the fish still look happy
and energetic and the plants green and fresh, will the water become
clear again after the pond will balance it-self

Yes. Testing for ammonia, nitrite, pH & KH would give me more of a clue how
far you are into the balance act. Also, DO NOT START OVER with new water.
It is okay to do frequent partial water changes. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a