Old 17-04-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Best Koi foods - where and how much?

Can anyone suggest the BEST koi foods with the least fillers? About how
much can one expect to pay for these feeds and where are they to be found?
I notice in my catalogs the ingredients are not listed. With 400 less koi
and GF to feed I may get them a bag.

What products are you using and which do you feel are the best?
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-04-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

Ichiban (sp?) is one of the better foods I use - ~$5 / lb in Canada - you
would need to google for it in the US
Gale :~)

Old 17-04-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"G Pearce" wrote in message
Ichiban (sp?) is one of the better foods I use - ~$5 / lb in Canada - you
would need to google for it in the US
Gale :~)

===========================
YES!!! One of our LFSs caries that brand in the summer. I remember seeing
it there...... now that you remind me. :-)))
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-04-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

Tetra
$ 9.99 1lb. can

Old 18-04-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Tetra
$ 9.99 1lb. can

====================
Thanks, but that's an outrageous amount for only 1 lb of food. :-( I
remember there being some question awhile back as to the quality of the
Tetra foods. They may have improved since then.

I'll go through close to a lb a week with all the fish I (still) have. I
don't want to pay more than maybe $4 lb as I buy 25 lbs at a time.

Old 18-04-2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Sho Koi under $5/lb from WesternPond.com. Spend over $60 and shipping is
free (at least it was when I purchased a month or so ago). ~ jan

-----------------
Old 18-04-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mister Gardener

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:38:12 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Tetra
$ 9.99 1lb. can

====================
Thanks, but that's an outrageous amount for only 1 lb of food. :-( I
remember there being some question awhile back as to the quality of the
Tetra foods. They may have improved since then.

I'll go through close to a lb a week with all the fish I (still) have. I
don't want to pay more than maybe $4 lb as I buy 25 lbs at a time.

Your question was "Can anyone suggest the BEST koi foods with the
least fillers?" You didn't ask which was the cheapest or the best
value for the money. Peter answered your question with his opinion
that Tetra is the best. Fair question, fair answer.

-- Mister Gardener
Old 18-04-2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Tetra
$ 9.99 1lb. can

====================
Thanks, but that's an outrageous amount for only 1 lb of food. :-( I
remember there being some question awhile back as to the quality of the
Tetra foods. They may have improved since then.

I'll go through close to a lb a week with all the fish I (still) have. I
don't want to pay more than maybe $4 lb as I buy 25 lbs at a time.

Your question was "Can anyone suggest the BEST koi foods with the
least fillers?" You didn't ask which was the cheapest or the best
value for the money. Peter answered your question with his opinion
that Tetra is the best. Fair question, fair answer.

-- Mister Gardener

Show you how much Carol really know...

Old 18-04-2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
Tetra
$ 9.99 1lb. can

====================
Thanks, but that's an outrageous amount for only 1 lb of food. :-( I
remember there being some question awhile back as to the quality of the
Tetra foods. They may have improved since then.

I'll go through close to a lb a week with all the fish I (still) have. I
don't want to pay more than maybe $4 lb as I buy 25 lbs at a time.

Your question was "Can anyone suggest the BEST koi foods with the
least fillers?" You didn't ask which was the cheapest or the best
value for the money. Peter answered your question with his opinion
that Tetra is the best. Fair question, fair answer.

===================
Yep, I realize that and was just commenting on the price. I had no idea
they were that high. I think I went into "sticker" shock. For $9 a lb I
wonder if fresh seafood from the store wouldn't be better?!?!?! You can
find bags of mixed seafood in Asian grocery stores for something like $2.49
to $4 lb.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-04-2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
Sho Koi under $5/lb from WesternPond.com. Spend over $60 and shipping is
free (at least it was when I purchased a month or so ago). ~ jan

Thanks Jan, now that's about what I want to spend. I remember trying
Sho-Gold a few years back. The goldfish did very well on it. Before buying
online I'm going to see if that pond and aquarium store in Nashville got his
delivery of Ichabon or Misty Mt. food in yet - or whatever brand he's
carrying this year.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.