Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 AM

Default Water Hyacinth ?

Attached Files
File Type: (334 Bytes, 43 views)
Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Chris Tondreau

Water hyacinth are tropical, so if there is any danger of frost then they
will be damaged or outright die. Wait until it's nice & warm. Good bargain
you got!

Jacqui
wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
I live onLong Island, New York, zone 7. Today I received 12 huge water
hyacinths that I purchased from E Bay for $6.00. Last year I paid $5.00
per plant from our local pond store. My question is, is it to early to
put the plants in the pond and if so what can I do to save the plants.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Lucy

Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Lucy,

Keep the plants in side until the water temperatures outside are in the 70's. Keep the plants in a tub of water with lots of light, and if possible put a heater in the water to keep the water at about 70 degrees. They need a lot of light. I have tried to keep them over the winter and found strong light and warm was the only way to keep them going through the winter.

Tom L.L.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Coffee

I always get mine early too. I live in PA. your zone. I put them into a tub
of pond water and if there is sun for the day I put them out--I only bring
them inside if the temps are dropping below 50 for the night. Next week the
temps for you will go up alot more and keeping them in a separate container
in the sun will also warm the water they are in. After it warms up in the
pond I transfer them into a laundry basket and place them on the pond edge
so they can multiply without the koi eating them up to fast.
Patty

Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 AM

Attached Files
File Type: (111 Bytes, 43 views)