Old 04-06-2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

Default Sucking air

I have an all-in-one pump/filter/fountain. Recently it has started falling
over and on one occasion it rose completely out of the pond! There's lots
of air in the pump when I stand it upright.

I don't know why it's started doing this (it's just a year old). I think it
might be to do with hair algea getting caught around the vents and perhaps
the pump is sucking the air from the algea?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve

Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Oh hell, I thought we were talking about Carol Gulleys bullshit. It
also sucks a lot of air.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Sucking air - pump and air

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Steve" wrote in message
I have an all-in-one pump/filter/fountain. Recently it has started falling
over and on one occasion it rose completely out of the pond! There's lots
of air in the pump when I stand it upright.

It sounds as though it may be defective. If still under warranty you need
to return it. The water may also be too shallow in your fountain or pond
allowing air to be sucked in. Can you release the air and try setting it in
deeper water?

I don't know why it's started doing this (it's just a year old). I think
it might be to do with hair algea getting caught around the vents and
perhaps the pump is sucking the air from the algea?

You may want to try removing this algae. If it's a fountain you can use one
of the products designed to keep algae from growing in the water.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:09:55 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I have an all-in-one pump/filter/fountain. Recently it has started falling
over and on one occasion it rose completely out of the pond! There's lots
of air in the pump when I stand it upright.

I don't know why it's started doing this (it's just a year old). I think it
might be to do with hair algea getting caught around the vents and perhaps
the pump is sucking the air from the algea?

Any ideas?
Steve

Clean it. Sounds like the pump isn't getting enough flow from clogged pads.
This can make the pump gravitate, knocking oxygen right out of suspension
causing bubbles to get caught in the filter (under the clogged pads). If it
continues to do this after cleaning, sometimes you just have to put a few
rocks in the box. ;o) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

Thanks Jan,
I cleaned it out yesterday, but withing 12 hours it had tipped over. Do you
not think it's the hair algea? Every time it's tipped over there's been
lots of it around the pump.
A while back the hair algea was very fine (i.e. not solid), but now it's
gone a darker green and is more clumpy and solid. Should I get rid of it?
The tadpoles and the newt seem to like it, but I don't think it's doing the
pond and fish much good in this state.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 04-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Thanks Jan,
I cleaned it out yesterday, but withing 12 hours it had tipped over. Do you
not think it's the hair algea? Every time it's tipped over there's been
lots of it around the pump.
A while back the hair algea was very fine (i.e. not solid), but now it's
gone a darker green and is more clumpy and solid. Should I get rid of it?
The tadpoles and the newt seem to like it, but I don't think it's doing the
pond and fish much good in this state.
Cheers,
Steve

Very well could be the algae, since it does produce a lot of O2 during the
day. Trying pulling a bunch of it out and see what happens. ~ jan

-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Steve

Hi there,
I've removed a lot of this algea. I'll let you know if it does the trick.
I think the water is deep enough, as I needed to use an extension attachment
so the head of the fountain extended out of the water.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Default Sucking air Hey Steve you dick wad , suck this asshole!

Its b****ing asholes like you that keep the noise level going. Your
the first ****ing moron to snap today......you poor pityful
looser......

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:24:11 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
It's a shame you're still sucking air. ****.

.. .

Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Who really gives a shit about your pump steve, evidently its too much
for your little freaking pea mind to comprehend and your loosing
it..Dumbass!

Old 05-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi there,
I've removed a lot of this algea. I'll let you know if it does the trick.
I think the water is deep enough, as I needed to use an extension
attachment so the head of the fountain extended out of the water.

====================
Yes, please let us know if that worked Steve. If not, than do as Jan
suggested and weigh it down with something. Water lettuce, inexpensive and
easy to find starves this algae out if you toss in some potash.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Oh hell, I thought we were talking about Roy Hauer's bullshit. It

Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy