Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Etienne

Default Magnetic tape as filter media - advice of a chemical expert?

Hi,
We have seen many alternatives on filter media - ( plastics, rock,
shredder,..), but does anybody has experience with using magnetic tape
( video, audio) as filter media?
Since it is all about creating a huge amount of surface this substance
could fulfill our needs.
One reel of a video-tape delivers an enormous amount of surface. The
question I have is about the chemical reaction in water of the tape: is
this chemically inert?
Is there any chemical expert in the group who has an opinion on this
question? The test I did was putting the tape in water for 3 months -
the water is still cristal clear; I observe no visible contamination of
the water sofar. Or has somebody a suggestion on how to test eventual
contamination?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 3 Jul 2006 07:59:20 -0700, "Etienne" wrote:

Hi,
We have seen many alternatives on filter media - ( plastics, rock,
shredder,..), but does anybody has experience with using magnetic tape
( video, audio) as filter media?

Magnetic tape is: A plastic tape coated with iron oxide for use in magnetic
recording.

I don't know if you'll get an answer, but if not, you could always try some
in a bucket with a fish or 2 and an airstone and see if bio-bugs will grow
on it, if it is toxic to the fish, etc. ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 04-07-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
John Paul Jones

It works just fine.......I have some old 8 track and cassette tapes I
used for ribbon media in a small fitler ona 90 gal tank, and it works
fantastic. It would be a biut better if it had a bit mre strength so
it did not fold over on itself but it still works

wrote:

Hi,
We have seen many alternatives on filter media - ( plastics, rock,
shredder,..), but does anybody has experience with using magnetic tape
( video, audio) as filter media?
Since it is all about creating a huge amount of surface this substance
could fulfill our needs.
One reel of a video-tape delivers an enormous amount of surface. The
question I have is about the chemical reaction in water of the tape: is
this chemically inert?
Is there any chemical expert in the group who has an opinion on this
question? The test I did was putting the tape in water for 3 months -
the water is still cristal clear; I observe no visible contamination of
the water sofar. Or has somebody a suggestion on how to test eventual
contamination?

You can reach -Ed Alston at

Old 04-07-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
John Paul Jones

I sucked my fist dick at age 6, and have been hooked ever since.Won't
you let me suck you off as well....I canbe found on the google forum
freshwater aquarium, that has been started by my fellow gay and
lesbian friends that used to frequent therse aquaria
groups............now I am just a lonely cocksucker without a cock to
suck on. Help me please.......

---
! !
! !