Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
gene

Default Lotus that jumped the pot

I have a lotus that is just starting to put up leaves, and I have found
that one of its three growing points has jumped the pot (I planted it
too close to the edge in the first place). I read a newsletter that
said that the writer took a runner from a lotus that jumped its pot and
replanted it elsewhere. I thought you couldn't touch those things
during growing season out of concern that injury would rot the whole
plant.

I also read that if the plant is producing out of pot runners, it
diminishes the chances for blooming, which I certainly don't want to
happen. It's hard enough to get those things started and keep the
racoons out afterwards.

So, if your experience was that you could cut off a runner that's just
wandering around in the water, and replant it in the summer, without
damaging the rest of the plant, I would be very grateful to hear from
you.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 4 Jul 2006 09:09:58 -0700, "gene" wrote:

[...]

I haven't done it, but I've heard of people directing the runner into a
another pot. Supposedly rot will stop at the knuckle, do I recommend it?
No, not from my stand point. ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 06-07-2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
gene

Thank you JanJ and Koi-Lo.

I find Lotuses so tempramental that I just wasn't willing to take the
risk this late in the season., so I gently twisted it around and
directed it back into the pot along with the main roots. It didn't
crack, so far so good.

Gene

Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"gene" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you JanJ and Koi-Lo.

I find Lotuses so tempramental that I just wasn't willing to take the
risk this late in the season., so I gently twisted it around and
directed it back into the pot along with the main roots. It didn't
crack, so far so good.

=============================
After 7 or 8 years my Lotus still has not bloomed. I added extra fertilizer
and still not one bud. It's a pretty plant and back by the fence so I'll
keep it, but I would never purchase or trade for another one.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

"gene" wrote in message
Thank you JanJ and Koi-Lo.

I find Lotuses so tempramental that I just wasn't willing to take the
risk this late in the season., so I gently twisted it around and
directed it back into the pot along with the main roots. It didn't
crack, so far so good.

I don't blame you for being careful. I've got 9+ buds with 3 blooming on
one lotus and 3+ buds coming on the other. Unfortunately they're both the
same, but a ponding friend, who doesn't want to bother with wintering over
the one she has in a stand-alone pot, is giving it to me. So I'll have it
for next year. ~ jan
-----------------

Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:44:54 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

I've got 9+ buds with 3 blooming on
one lotus and 3+ buds coming on the other.

I'm jealous! What are you using for fertilizer? These AgSafe
spikes have a higher nitrogen content ratio than I've ever used for
pond plant or flowering plants in general, but they seem to work well
and my lilies are blooming well.

Regards,

Hal
Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:20:30 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

After 7 or 8 years my Lotus still has not bloomed. I added extra fertilizer
and still not one bud. It's a pretty plant and back by the fence so I'll
keep it, but I would never purchase or trade for another one.

I had one for a year that didn't bloom, but this year I have one that
has bloomed once and has three more buds, one should open tomorrow or
the next day. I understand they are heavy feeders. I have it in a
half barrel container, about 20 gallons or so with a bag and a little
more of topsoil and 4 AgSafe spikes, once a year fertilizer. They
seem to work well and I'll probably use them again next year.

I bought a Mrs Perry D Slocum tuber and planted it in a similar pot
and it died. I was a bit disappointed in that one, but the one that
is doing so well came free from a friend. I have concerns about the
top soil and perhaps I should have used garden soil instead, but I had
topsoil for another project and used what was handy. Oh, Well!

I've enjoyed the free one so much, I may use some of my wife's jewelry
money and buy another one next spring.

Regards,

Hal
Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Hal" wrote in message
I had one for a year that didn't bloom, but this year I have one that
has bloomed once and has three more buds, one should open tomorrow or
the next day. I understand they are heavy feeders. I have it in a
half barrel container, about 20 gallons or so with a bag and a little
more of topsoil and 4 AgSafe spikes, once a year fertilizer. They
seem to work well and I'll probably use them again next year.

I bought a Mrs Perry D Slocum tuber and planted it in a similar pot
and it died. I was a bit disappointed in that one, but the one that
is doing so well came free from a friend. I have concerns about the
top soil and perhaps I should have used garden soil instead, but I had
topsoil for another project and used what was handy. Oh, Well!

I've enjoyed the free one so much, I may use some of my wife's jewelry
money and buy another one next spring.

===========================
If my Lotus would bloom half as good as my water lilies I'd be thrilled.
I've been using Jobe's Rose spikes but now added a different fertilizer for
other plants. The Lotus is tall, has huge nice green leaves about 5' tall
and yet never a blossom. I don't know what can be missing. It's kept
watered with water from the koi fry tanks. It's planted in regular soil
from the garden which is medium fertile on its own.

I can't see why topsoil would have harmed your lotus. Could you have buried
it too deep? I just laid the original tuber on the muck and added enough
over it to hold it in place. It moved itself down to the bottom (?).
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"gene" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, if your experience was that you could cut off a runner that's just
wandering around in the water, and replant it in the summer, without
damaging the rest of the plant, I would be very grateful to hear from
you.

I was told before severing the runner, get it rooted in a pot of sand or
fine gravel at a leaf-node where the roots poke out. Peg it down until
rooted, then sever from the mother plant. I know mine lived all summer but
I then planted it in a 100g kiddy pool with another Lotus. A bunch of
shoots came up the next summer so I don't know if one was *that* runner or
not.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.