Old 13-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Robert Burns

Default Snail elimination.reduction

Hi,
We have a 500 gallon pond. Over the last couple of years we've gotten more
an dmore small snails. Next week we're going to do a little spring cleaning
and I'd like to know the concentration of Potassium Promangamate to use to
"sterileize" the new plants prior to putting 'em in the pond. We're going
ot divide the lillies too so if we soak them too maybe we can reduce the
population a bit.

Thanks

Bob

Old 13-04-2003, 02:44 PM

I have tried PP against snails. doesnt work really well. OTOH, I have used copper
sulfate and it kills the snails well. copper sulfate knocks down quite a few other
cooties. I just dont like using it in the pond with the fish. it is only not as
toxic in water from 50-300 ppm hardness. Ingrid

Old 15-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Robert Burns

Thanks,
So how's copper sulfate work as a dip? I'm going ot re-pot and divide
plants this weekend. If I dip each plant before it goes back into the pond
will I get 'em? I'm putting the fish in a separate tank for a week or so
while I scrub out the pond. It's getting a bit larger too. I'll check the
hardness. What concentration should I use as a dip if it will work.

Bob

Old 15-04-2003, 06:32 AM
jammer

I would like to know why snails are undesirable. "just" eating plants?
I would think they would be good for algea control and to look at
every now and then.

Old 15-04-2003, 07:20 PM
mad

sometimes tiny snails get into the pump and clog it up. they also eat
plants, like you said. they can carry diseases that affect fish. my fish eat
them so no prob.
mad
--
Televangelists: the pro-wrestlers of religion

Old 15-04-2003, 08:20 PM
John Rutz

jammer wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:14:46 -0500, mad wrote:

sometimes tiny snails get into the pump and clog it up. they also eat
plants, like you said. they can carry diseases that affect fish. my fish eat
them so no prob.
mad

Ok, so what about these golf ball sized ones? I dont even have a pump
or filter anyway and thought they may be beneficial. Not if they ate a
single water lillie pad or too much of one plant...the pond is small,
should i get any or not?

-- I have the Japanese trap door snails they get to be about an inch in
size and they dont eat the plants---- in fact if I didnt drain the pond
I wouldnt even know they were in there,
the apple snails do eat anything that they come accross.

John Rutz

the green is grassing the leaves are treeing
I'm happy

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-04-2003, 10:44 PM
jammer

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:02:43 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

-- I have the Japanese trap door snails they get to be about an inch in
size and they dont eat the plants---- in fact if I didnt drain the pond
I wouldnt even know they were in there,
the apple snails do eat anything that they come accross.

And can i get these japanese trap door snails at a pond shop or where?
Old 15-04-2003, 11:56 PM
John Rutz

wrote:

-- I have the Japanese trap door snails they get to be about an inch in
size and they dont eat the plants---- in fact if I didnt drain the pond
I wouldnt even know they were in there,
the apple snails do eat anything that they come accross.

And can i get these japanese trap door snails at a pond shop or where?

--
you should be able to get them there

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 16-04-2003, 12:09 AM
jammer

wrote:

-- I have the Japanese trap door snails they get to be about an inch in
size and they dont eat the plants---- in fact if I didnt drain the pond
I wouldnt even know they were in there,
the apple snails do eat anything that they come accross.

And can i get these japanese trap door snails at a pond shop or where?

Ok, i called the pond shop on that too and they said they get the
apple snails and that they do not eat plants, otherwise they wouldn't
carry them. Ok, cool. I have had a hurt back, neck, and shoulder for a
week. I WANT to clean out that pond! You can see the bottom but i
figure it should be cleaned anyway. There are bound to be leaves and
stuff in there somewhere. But i just hope and pray i don't suck up any
eggs. I may net the goldfish and put them in a bucket to minimize the
stress of the shop vac. Then i will begin cleaning in the fall before
i net. Thing is, the leaves don't fall until spring.

Old 17-04-2003, 05:08 AM

copper sulfate or coppersafe overnight 12 hours at 2X concentration should do it.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...phos/copper-su
lfate-ext.html
http://www.nps.ars.usda.gov/publicat..._NO_115=116205
of course dont use copper sulfate in a "swath" in your tank, but here is
the idea.
" Technical Abstract: Aquatic snails transfer trematodes from birds to
fish and by reducing the number of snails the potential for diseases caused
by the trematodes is lessened. This article discusses a shoreline pond
treatment designed to kill aquatic snails that occur in the waters at the
pond edges while not harming fish in the pond. Two treatments at three
different rates were tested for efficacy against the rams horn snail. The
best treatment appears to be a copper sulfate solution applied in a 6-foot
swath in the waters along the shoreline of a pond. Ten pounds of copper
sulfate in solution were put out over 250 feet of shoreline. Survival of
snails in the treatment was 0% while in the controls 69% of the snails
survived. The treatment appears very promising."
Ingrid

Old 21-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Bob,

This information that has been given is a good way
to rid yourself of snails if you feel it is
necessary and have aquaculture facility and your
ponds that shorelines that extend 2 meters into
the pond from the edge. What happens is that this
is where the majority of the snails hang out in
this 2 meter area along the shore and the fish do
not reside in this area. Because the fish do not
reside in this area the use of copper sulfate is
usually no problem, because otherwise the copper
sulfate is very toxic to fish.

If you noticed the formula has a additional amount
of citric acid to the copper sulfate. The reason
that technique works is because this area of
shoreline has very little water movement and where
it is spread it tends to stay in that area and
sink to the mud. The citric acid actually raises
the acidity of the area it has been added to and
because the shore line is not being flushed by
water movement. Since most home ponds have water
movement this would not be good for home pond use.
In addition, the acidity also helps the copper ion
to be absorbed into the soil making it hard to be
reabsorbed in to the water.

So in conclusion, this is a good procedure if your
pond has a 2 meter band of soil along the
shoreline and no water movement.

Also, some thing that this abstract doesn't
mention is the trematodes (a huge group of
parasites) it is talking about are digenetic
trematodes, which are parasitic worms, for the
most part and have nothing to do with flukes.
Areas of concern are commercial bass production,
Catfish productions and Salmon facilities here in
the U.S. Wild populations in South Texas,
Florida, Mississippi and Georgia have been found
to have this parasite, but the bird that is
primarily involved in the spread of this parasite
is the Cormorant in the wild and in commercial
facilities. So, if you have Cormorants bothering
your ponds, you may have this parasite.

Other than that snails are really not a problem
and you can reduce this population and keep it in
check as I have previously suggested.

HTH

Tom L.L.
wrote in message
copper sulfate or coppersafe overnight 12 hours

at 2X concentration should do it.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carb
aryl-dicrotophos/copper-su
lfate-ext.html

http://www.nps.ars.usda.gov/publications/publicati
ons.htm?SEQ_NO_115=116205

"Robert Burns" wrote:

Thanks,
So how's copper sulfate work as a dip? I'm

going ot re-pot and divide
plants this weekend. If I dip each plant

before it goes back into the pond
will I get 'em? I'm putting the fish in a

separate tank for a week or so
while I scrub out the pond. It's getting a bit

larger too. I'll check the
hardness. What concentration should I use as a

dip if it will work.

Slug elimination success George.com Gardening 1 10-01-2008 07:47 PM
Hedge reduction Pam Morris United Kingdom 1 01-09-2003 08:04 PM
Mint - elimination? Lee B Gardening 13 07-07-2003 02:38 AM
LAND REFORM, ECONOMIC GROWTH AND POVERTY REDUCTION C R Spinner sci.agriculture 2 27-04-2003 02:32 PM
HOW LAND REFORM CAN CONTRIBUTE TO ECONOMIC GROWTH AND POVERTY REDUCTION [email protected] sci.agriculture 6 27-04-2003 08:56 AM