Old 07-07-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
keith_nuttle

Default water lillies

We have a rubber lined pond.

Are there any reason that flowers escaping their pots should not be
allowed to grow on the rocks and gravel in the pond?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

keith_nuttle wrote:

We have a rubber lined pond.

Are there any reason that flowers escaping their pots should not be
allowed to grow on the rocks and gravel in the pond?

There's no reason for the general health of the pond or plants, but it will
make it difficult to divide lilies in future - if the ponds getting either
too overgrown, or you just want to give a tuber to a friend.
--
derek
Old 07-07-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
y.net...
We have a rubber lined pond.

Are there any reason that flowers escaping their pots should not be
allowed to grow on the rocks and gravel in the pond?

===========================
Gravel on the pond bottom will make draining, thinning the fish population
and cleaning a lot harder when the time comes. If there are plants growing
in it it will be even more difficult. Plants growing along and among the
rock necklace give ponds a more natural look in my opinion.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_nuttle
We have a rubber lined pond.

Are there any reason that flowers escaping their pots should not be
allowed to grow on the rocks and gravel in the pond?
Koi-lo's considerations aside some species can become huge it allowed to run riot. The up side is you stand a chance of a stunning display of pads and blooms. One chap I know has free lilies and he is 600 or so ft higher mean which generally means his plant should be behind mine. I seem to remember him having 20 blooms on one large plant before I even had pads on any of mine. I have several pygmies growing loose in a gravel bed in my fish pond.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
chip

I think this is a record on rec.ponds, at least since I have started about
4-5 months ago. A reasonable question and 3 reasonable answers without any
crap responders. Nice!
Chip

Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

We have a rubber lined pond.

Are there any reason that flowers escaping their pots should not be
allowed to grow on the rocks and gravel in the pond?

What is in the pond besides plants? Are we just talking water lilies or
other varieties? ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 18-07-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

~ wrote:

.

I know how you feel.

I must remember.. Insert brain, THEN type.

Now that's a revelation, janj.

What is in the pond besides plants? Are we just talking water lilies
or other varieties? ~ jan.

What is there to talk about anyway?

.

It's a mirage.

.

If nothing else.

Also ponding troll free at: http://groups.

I am not a troll. I am a bot. B O T. Bot. Understand?

google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium.

Give yourself time.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.