Old 18-02-2003, 01:51 AM
RichToyBox

Default green particals in water

I had quite a bit of that also. The addition of muriate of potash 0,0,60
fertilizer helped the higher order plants consume some of the materials that
fed the algae. Increased water flow through the filter helps also. It is
growing at a rate that it is able to keep even with the filtering process,
and you must either increase filtering, or change its diet, or both.
--
RichToyBox

"bk" wrote in message
Our pond water is pretty clean except for these small green suspended
particals.
The pond is 30" deep and one can still see to the bottom.
Ant ideas on how to get rid of this?
I want gin clear water.

Old 18-02-2003, 01:51 PM
bk

I think that a major design flaw of my pond is that it is only 27" wide. The
rear wall is a 5' radius with a continuous waterfall ledge. This makes
having plants very difficult, since they would be constantly bombarded by
the waterfall.
I'm begining to wonder if my only way out is a uv filter.
"K30a" wrote in message

Green suspended particles must be
algae. Algae and outside water go
hand in hand, you'll never be rid of it
but you can reduce its numbers so your
water will *look* like a basin full of gin.

Algae fighting tips

~ New ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is quicker at
getting going!
~ add LOTS of plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater

plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial

shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi) and not

overfeeding
the fish.
~ building a mechanical filter to screen gunk.
~ getting really carried away and actually screening the algae with really

fine
filters, for engineering type pond/nerds
~ build a veggie filter, run water through plants, as easy as floating

water
hyacinth in a container.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
I use A HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ gently remove string algae
~ patience ;-)

k30a

Old 18-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Lee Brouillet

Ah yes, the elusive search for "gin clear" water! I know it well. . .

Everything K30a said works, given time and space. However, I needed a UV and
"fine" filtration to clean the water to the point I wanted it. By "fine"
filtration, I mean that I went to a "pillow" made from window screen and
stuffed with same, topped by a mesh bag with about 15 yards of cheap veil
from Wal-Mart (mine is bright green, purchased last St. Patrick's day for
about 25 cents a yard!). This stuff is placed in my skimmer box and requires
almost daily cleaning (sometimes morning/night during the summer). But I
have clear water!!! It depends on how much work you want to put in to it.
The fix is relatively cheap in $$$, but a little demanding on your time.
Depending on where you live, it may not be so bad: I live in Central FL, and
deal with heavy sunlight and water temp issues, all conducive to runaway
algae problems!

Lee

Old 18-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Snooze

"bk" wrote in message
I think that a major design flaw of my pond is that it is only 27" wide.

The
rear wall is a 5' radius with a continuous waterfall ledge. This makes
having plants very difficult, since they would be constantly bombarded by
the waterfall.
I'm begining to wonder if my only way out is a uv filter.

UV Filters are rather pricy to purchase and operate. I'm trying to avoid
having to buy one as well.

If your pond is deep enough, consider placing a milk crate upside down, and
putting the pots on top of that. I had to rest my milk crate on top of a
cinderblock to get it to the proper depth.

Sameer