Old 20-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default UV operating cost, was green particals in water

UV Filters are rather pricy to purchase and operate. I'm trying to avoid
having to buy one as well.

Purchase price can be steep. Operating isn't bad. I've found you essentially
_never_ need to change the bulb until it no longer lights up. These yearly
bulb change recommendations are (I think) for UV used for drinking water.
In a pond even a weak UV kills some of the microorganisms passing through it
and the ones that aren't can be zapped the next time through. I had my first
UV bulb almost ten years, I repaired it several times by soldering connecting
wires back on or replacing the ballast. It finally corroded away too much to
repair.

I'm sure it was still working because I could notice if it went out by the
water slowly getting murky. I'd check the UV and sure enough, left the switch
off or something.

I believe it helps control parasites and disease as well.

There are some build it yourself plans for them on the web somewhere if you
want to save a little $$.

Hope this helps
Andrew