Old 13-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Russ and Cathy

Default How deep

should a veggie filter be and what kind of plants work best in veggie
filters to filter the water? One more question if you dont mind. How do you
construct the veggie filter so that the plants dont wash down the waterfall
when the water filters down into the waterfall? Would using a screen be a
good idea to cover the front of the filter so that nothing can wash down the
falls?
Thanks in advance.
Cathy

Old 13-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Russ and Cathy wrote:
should a veggie filter be and what kind of plants work best in veggie
filters to filter the water? One more question if you dont mind. How do you
construct the veggie filter so that the plants dont wash down the waterfall
when the water filters down into the waterfall? Would using a screen be a
good idea to cover the front of the filter so that nothing can wash down the
falls?
Thanks in advance.
Cathy

It can be anywhere from 12-24 inches. Depends on the area.
Here in NJ I like to use watercelery, watercress and then
in the summer months I add water hyacinth. I have placed a
slotted basket the the head of the waterfall with a few
plants added. It soon disappears when the plants grow.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 15-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Some of our veggie filters are like Bonnie's, basket at exit. Others just
have a small overflow indentation (1 x 12 cut-down). Our largest has a
plastic pipe barrier.

All work well.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net