Old 27-02-2003, 06:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

I plan to have a 400-500 gallon VF for my 3000 gallon pond. Do you think a
foot deep is deep enough? The VF will be fed by a bottom drain. The pump
will be housed in a separate container and will pull water from the VF and
dump it into the pond. I want to use the VF as a settlement area as well.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 27-02-2003, 07:35 PM
bk

What is VF?
"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 27-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Paul in Redland

1 ft should be plenty deep. Are all your plants going to be in pots?
Paul

Old 27-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Paul in Redland

One ft should be fine. Are you putting your plants in pots?
Paul

Old 28-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Nedra

I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra

Old 28-02-2003, 05:30 AM
Tony Sanders

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:27:23 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message

One ft should be fine. Are you putting your plants in pots?
Paul

My first and, to date, most successful VF was just a few inches deep
.... in my view, it is the throughput of water that is critical. My
present VF is 8 inches deep (75 litres capacity) and again relies upon
a rapid throughput of water.

I don't put the plants in any form of substrate or in a pot ... I just
lay them in the filter with roots exposed. A silt substrate soon
builds up leaving most fo the roots still exposed to the flow of
water.

As in all things, it is what works for you.

Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa

Proud holders of the America's Cup
Old 28-02-2003, 01:51 PM
BenignVanilla

"bk" wrote in message
What is VF?

VF= Veggie Filter. A filtration system that uses plants as the filter media.

BV.

Old 28-02-2003, 01:51 PM
BenignVanilla

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message
1 ft should be plenty deep. Are all your plants going to be in pots?
Paul

That is my plan...I want to plant the VF so dense you can barely see the
water...I want the water to flow in from the Bottom Drain, settle here and
then be sucked into a pump house where I will seperate my pump from the VF
using some kind of physical filter, just in case. The pump will then dump
back into the main pond.

BV.

Old 28-02-2003, 01:51 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra, do they say why 18?

I am battled two design right now. One that has the filter about 12 inches
deep, flat bottom, with a slight slant to the middle to collect debris and
make cleaning easier. I am also thinking of a having a more sculpted bottom,
that includes different depth areas, hoping that may help in settlement.

Right now, the 12 inch deep across the board is winning. Seems the most
simple. I could be swayed to 18 though if I would gain some benefit. I just
want to keep it shallow enough that I can get in there and clean it easily.

BV.

Old 28-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Nedra

I don't know Why they say 18 inches..... lol
Some folks sound like they have a 'bog' as opposed
to a veggie filter. Whatever suits your plan.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
hlink.net...

Old 28-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Glenn S.

I'm planning a vegie filter (VF) for my front yard ponds this spring also
( http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/index.html ) and was originally planning a
foot deep 'box' with bare roots plants (hyacinth, water lettuce, etc) and
water entry on one end and exit on the other. However, after reading a
portion of your post, I'm reconsidering one aspect of my design. I like
your idea of having 'a slight slant to the middle to collect debris'. I
think my design will now be 12" on the ends and 15" in the center. Thanks
for the idea.

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV
2002 Flagstaff 228D Pop-up FOR SALE
.... ----- http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Camper001.html

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
hlink.net...

Old 28-02-2003, 02:51 PM
John Rutz

Paul in Redland wrote:
One ft should be fine. Are you putting your plants in pots?
Paul

mine varies from 1 ft to 18 in due to root size of some plants

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 28-02-2003, 03:40 PM
BenignVanilla

"Glenn S." wrote in message
. ..
I'm planning a vegie filter (VF) for my front yard ponds this spring also
( http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/index.html ) and was originally planning

foot deep 'box' with bare roots plants (hyacinth, water lettuce, etc) and
water entry on one end and exit on the other. However, after reading a
portion of your post, I'm reconsidering one aspect of my design. I like
your idea of having 'a slight slant to the middle to collect debris'. I
think my design will now be 12" on the ends and 15" in the center. Thanks
for the idea.

I think I should note this day. My first helpful pond post! Glad I could
plant a seed somewhere. Now, if the snow will just go the hell away, I could
get this pond completed.

BV.

Old 28-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Paul in Redland" wrote in message

1 ft should be plenty deep. Are all your plants going to be in pots?
Paul

That is my plan...I want to plant the VF so dense you can barely see the
water...I want the water to flow in from the Bottom Drain, settle here and
then be sucked into a pump house where I will seperate my pump from the VF
using some kind of physical filter, just in case. The pump will then dump
back into the main pond.

BV.

For proper filtration, I suggest you float them bareroot -
no pots. If you choose the proper plants, the water will
soon be completely covered.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 28-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra, do they say why 18?

I am battled two design right now. One that has the filter about 12 inches
deep, flat bottom, with a slight slant to the middle to collect debris and
make cleaning easier. I am also thinking of a having a more sculpted bottom,
that includes different depth areas, hoping that may help in settlement.

Right now, the 12 inch deep across the board is winning. Seems the most
simple. I could be swayed to 18 though if I would gain some benefit. I just
want to keep it shallow enough that I can get in there and clean it easily.

BV.

Hi BV,

I just checked with article written by Richard Schuck, who
came up with the 10% Solution Natural Filter. He suggests
12" to 18" but doesn't say why.

His equation:
Surface Area of NF = 10% of Surface Area of POND

Water Flow/hr = 1/2 to 1/4 of POND Volume

Depth of NF = 10" - 12"

--
Bonnie
NJ

15 inch deep enough for winte in Michigan? [email protected] Ponds (moderated) 32 29-11-2007 04:39 AM
How deep is too deep? Andrew Burgess Ponds 22 02-06-2004 03:13 AM
Cubic foot??????????? RUKind Lawns 5 04-07-2003 08:56 PM
And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad (enough is enough) R&V Childers Gardening 2 26-06-2003 01:44 AM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 15-01-2003 10:36 PM