Old 16-07-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Can I just top up my garden pond with common tap water?

Hi y'all
I live in the south of England where right now we are experiencing a
bit of a drought. As a result the water in my garden Goldfish pond is
getting low.
My question : Can I just top up the pond with common tap water? I've
heard I should let it stand for a few hours to get rid of the Chlorine
but I'm not really sure.
Any help or suggestions much appreciated.
TIA.
Old 16-07-2006, 11:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

~ janj wrote:
Buy a product that will detox the chlorine. Sodium hypochlorite is the
chemical name. Unless you have chloramines in your water source you'll need
something that will detox chlorine and ammonia, one product name is Amquel.
A few hours will not do it, more like 24-48 hours depending on ppm. Better
is to trickle the water in slowly, or spray it up in the air (chlorine
only) if you can't get or find the chemicals mentioned above. ~ jan

Some water suppliers in the UK use chloramines in their tapwater not
chlorine. I used to age water for aquarium water changes by leaving it
at least 24 hours. I switched to chemical water treatment after I found
out that chloramines were more stable and would take much longer (a
week?) to clear from water naturally. My water company at that time
told me that they used chlorine, but it would be possible that they
would switch to chloramines without notice. I didn't want to discover
that my water company had switched from chlorine to chloramines by
finding that my fish suddenly died and my biological filter was dead as
well.

While I have an aquarium not a pond, I was in a garden centre last
weekend, and noticed a product for dechlorinating (removing heavy
metals and the like) pond water. It was in a spray bottle thing, and
said to use one spray per N litres of water.

Old 16-07-2006, 01:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
Carolyn

We top up our pond occasionally with a bit of chlorinated tap water. Have
never had a problem with fish dying. Usually we top it off with water that
we save in a couple of rain barrels, but if we don't get any rain, we use
the tap water. Just use the minimum needed, should be safe.

Old 16-07-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Peter L

For topping off, you do not need to worry about the chlorine or the
chloroamines. The new water will be "diluted" by the water in the pond.
I've been doing this for years with no problems - even in aquariums where I
have replaced up to 10% of the water with tap water during water changes
with no ill effects.

Old 16-07-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
Hi y'all
I live in the south of England where right now we are experiencing a
bit of a drought. As a result the water in my garden Goldfish pond is
getting low.
My question : Can I just top up the pond with common tap water? I've
heard I should let it stand for a few hours to get rid of the Chlorine
but I'm not really sure.
Any help or suggestions much appreciated.
TIA.

===========================
I don't use anything in the new water but it is sprayed in using a
greenhouse type sprayer. We only have chlorine where I live - no
chloromines. If I'm adding more than maybe 20% new water than I use Sodium
Thiosulfate I buy online by the 10lb bucket.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-07-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
\-=[LÈGIÖN]=-\

Some of Roys socks.

wendelansux
~Roy~