Old 06-08-2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
M&K M&K is offline

Default Froggy

We have a pretty small pond; one of those kidney-shaped plastic jobs you
pick up at Menard's or Home Depot. It nestles snugly in the corner where the
steps to our deck meet the pavers bordering our backyard. Probably a foot
deep at it's deepest.

Last week, a green frog took up residence here. We like the frog just fine,
but we live in Northern Illinois and the pond is not deep enough for him to
spend the winter. Can I relocate him somehow? Or maybe take him inside
during the winter and keep him in his own tank?

Old 06-08-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds

"M&K" wrote in message
m...
We have a pretty small pond; one of those kidney-shaped plastic jobs you
pick up at Menard's or Home Depot. It nestles snugly in the corner where
the
steps to our deck meet the pavers bordering our backyard. Probably a foot
deep at it's deepest.

Last week, a green frog took up residence here. We like the frog just
fine,
but we live in Northern Illinois and the pond is not deep enough for him
spend the winter. Can I relocate him somehow? Or maybe take him inside
during the winter and keep him in his own tank?

I would let nature take it's course. They seem to know when the water is
too shallow and move on themselves. Even in deeper ponds they sometimes
don't survive the winter as I found out.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:21:47 GMT, "M&K" wrote:

We have a pretty small pond; one of those kidney-shaped plastic jobs you
pick up at Menard's or Home Depot. It nestles snugly in the corner where the
steps to our deck meet the pavers bordering our backyard. Probably a foot
deep at it's deepest.

Last week, a green frog took up residence here. We like the frog just fine,
but we live in Northern Illinois and the pond is not deep enough for him to
spend the winter. Can I relocate him somehow? Or maybe take him inside
during the winter and keep him in his own tank?

If he came on his own, imo, he'll know where to go for winter.... though,
even in that shallow of a pond you could put a bird bath heater in and keep
an opening in the ice, that's all he would need, if he even stays for
winter. Many frogs winter in yard debris, perhaps yours is of that variety?
~ jan www.jjspond.us
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 07-08-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.ponds

M&K wrote:

We have a pretty small pond; one of those kidney-shaped plastic jobs you
pick up at Menard's or Home Depot. It nestles snugly in the corner where
the steps to our deck meet the pavers bordering our backyard. Probably a
foot deep at it's deepest.

Last week, a green frog took up residence here. We like the frog just
fine, but we live in Northern Illinois and the pond is not deep enough for
him to spend the winter. Can I relocate him somehow? Or maybe take him
inside during the winter and keep him in his own tank?

Green frogs don't generally stay in the pond outside breeding season. He'll
(probably) find a nice spot to hibernate in outside the pond. That said,
people _do_ find dead frogs in their ponds most springs. Be sure that
there is a way for the frog to get out of the pond.
--
derek
Old 08-08-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

~ janj wrote, On 06/08/2006 21:50:
If he came on his own, imo, he'll know where to go for winter.... though,
even in that shallow of a pond you could put a bird bath heater in and keep
an opening in the ice, that's all he would need, if he even stays for
winter. Many frogs winter in yard debris, perhaps yours is of that variety?
~ jan www.jjspond.us
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

In Britain some varieties hibernate in the mud at bottoms of ponds.
Others need somewhere sheltered, dark, and cool to over winter. You
could build an over wintering site for them with buried rocks, pipes and
logs, them cover it over with soil and turf (there is a proper name for
these, something-arium). A garden supplies website in the UK sells
wooden frog and toad houses to put in the garden;

FROGS AND TOADS: Banana Barn’s Slated House (FTH)
Built from sustainable larch or cedar from the Forest of Dean and roofed
with reclaimed roof tiles - provides the ideal over-wintering habitat
for these amphibians. To survive two winters before breeding, frogs need
to find a site like this.
Picture; http://www.ernest-charles.com/acatal...ghouse_450.jpg

David