Old 14-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Stephanie

Default Thinking About Pond???????????

We have a very large garden and are thinking about a pond. How do we
go about it?Where do we start? We want to put fish in it. What are we
likely to need to buy? We have fish in the house and have to treat the
water and test it all the time is it the same for a pond?
Old 14-04-2003, 02:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"Stephanie" wrote in message
om...
We have a very large garden and are thinking about a pond. How do we
go about it?Where do we start? We want to put fish in it. What are we
likely to need to buy? We have fish in the house and have to treat the
water and test it all the time is it the same for a pond?

How do I build a pond is about as complex and as simple as the question,
"How do I make dinner?" The answer could be as simple as go to McDonalds or
it could be a recipe for some fancy French dish. You see, the question can't
really be answered in one simple paragraph. Here are some tips for gathering
the info you will need:

You need:

1. A big hole in the ground.
2. A liner for the big hole.
3. Water for the hole with the liner in it.
4. Fish to swim in the water in the liner in the hole.
5. A filtration system to clean the water holding the fish in the liner in
the hole.

To get to that point:

1. Buy some books. Any pond book with Helen Nash's name is a safe bet.
2. Search the web for backyard pond. The only thing better then reading a
Helen Nash book, is to read 100 web pages of people that have done this
before. Of course, you will get 100 different opinions.
3. Lurk here and read what others are doing, or pester everyone with 1000
questions posted here every day, which is what I did.

BV.

Old 14-04-2003, 02:20 PM
GrampysGurl

5. A filtration system to clean the water holding the fish in the liner in
the hole.

Which could mean natural (plants) or mechanical.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 14-04-2003, 03:45 PM
REBEL JOE

Click my web site below it shows how I started mine

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 14-04-2003, 04:32 PM
K30a

And check to see if there is a pond club or koi club in your area. Local folks
are a big help with their specific knowledge of your area - such as is your
water supply treated with chloramine? (You can also call your water provider.)
The most important thing for new ponders is to not overstock your pond. Start
out with a few fish and learn as you go along. Ponds are much more forgiving
than aquariums especially if they are not overstocked.
Helen Nash's Low Maintenance Ponds is a great book.
Other considerations are local predators, raccoons especially can trash a pond.
There are ways to plan for predators. Of course some folks will have never seen
a heron or kingfisher until they put in a pond!
And hang around here, we have ALL the answers.
;-)

k30a

Old 14-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Pinkpggy

We have a very large garden and are thinking about a pond. How do we
go about it?Where do we start? We want to put fish in it. What are we
likely to need to buy? We have fish in the house and have to treat the
water and test it all the time is it the same for a pond?

Right here on the internet is a good place to start. Go to a search and type

in building a pond. You will get a bunch of information.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Bob H

Hey B.V. you forgot #6. Have an ample supply of money to throw into the big
hole in the ground :-)

Old 14-04-2003, 08:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bob H" wrote in message
Hey B.V. you forgot #6. Have an ample supply of money to throw into the

big
hole in the ground :-)

I purposefully left that one off, because unicorns, flying pigs and ample
supplies of money are just fairy tales.

BV.

Old 15-04-2003, 04:08 AM
mad

i lurked, read, asked questions and saved up my money for 2 years before i
got my stock tank pond and installed it. now, when i have more questions, i
come back here.
mad
--
"I read somewhere that 77% of all the mentally ill
live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the

From: "BenignVanilla" m
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:05:46 -0400
Subject: Thinking About Pond???????????

Old 15-04-2003, 03:32 PM
David

"mad" wrote in message
i lurked, read, asked questions and saved up my money for 2 years before i
got my stock tank pond and installed it. now, when i have more questions,

come back here.
mad

Stock tank pond you say, very interesting.
I've got a pond in the UK, its actually at my parents place but I call it
mine. I've always been interested in a big stock tank pond though, how have
you done yours, what kind of tank do you use?

I imagine a big tank, round or square, maybe 10000 gallons partially above
ground with nothing but fish and nice big smooth rocks. A very big vegi
filter next to it for all the frogs and insects to live in.
End of dream sequence.
David

Old 15-04-2003, 07:44 PM
mad

in the sig tags below are pix of my stock tank pond. you can see that i
started with a child's wading pool and i didn't like that AT ALL. but i was
desperate for a pond. then i bought the 300 gallon blue tank. my 70 yr old
cousin strapped it to the top of her brand new minivan and she and her 85 yr
old husband and 95 yr old mother brought it to me. there are pix to prove
it. LOL

i wanted to bury it within a foot of the rim, but discovered the water line
to my outdoor fausets under the hole i dug. oh well. next to plan 'b'. plan
'b' was to fill in 6" of the hole and put the stock tank in the hole and
backfill. we live in the desert so no chance of the tank floating out of the
hole in times of wet weather, thank God.

my back yard is so small that i can't have a 'real' pond, but this suits me
just fine. i had a bird bath custom made with a hole up the center of the
pedestal and the bowl. i siliconed the tube to the pump into the bowl and i
put watercress in the bowl. the pump pushes the water up into the bowl,
bringing fertilizer for the watercress. then the water overflows the sides
of the bowl thus making aeration of the water for the fish.

i suppose there is such a thing as a 1000 gallon stock tank, but most big
tanks are dug into the ground.

i can't remember the brand name of the tank, but it is plastic like a
rubbermaid. i bought it at a farm and ranch supply/feed store.

mad

--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 15-04-2003, 08:20 PM
jammer

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:43:23 -0500, mad wrote:

http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

I was glad to see what a lillie bud looked like. I will be on the
lookout and totally excited when i see one I have never had a water
flower.
Old 15-04-2003, 08:32 PM
mad

i was so psyched when i got my first bud and flower! the group may or may
not remember how i yelled and screamed in happiness when it first came up. i
rushed out and took pix and posted them right away.
this waterlily was one a friend dug out of the stock tank on her ranch. this
was a real cattle watering tank and she had no clue as to how it got into
her water tank. but she didn't want the cattle eating the waterlily so she
gave it to me.
mad
--
"We are all born mad. Some remain so."
Irish playwright Samuel Beckett

Old 15-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Bill

"mad" wrote :

I am glad to see someone else as desperate for a pond as I am... or
almost.

I have now had the courage to post some photos of my "pond?" on
Webshots, but I can't seem to get a link to it. All the links are to my edit
page... how did you get your short link.

---

Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Bill

Never mind... didn't refresh...

Here is what happens when you really want a pond and can't wait until
all the plans come together.

http://community.webshots.com/album/69724870SDLYVK

---