Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default of dogs and OT posting and rec.ponds of days gone by

I have not posted to rec.ponds in a long time but I have volunteered to
help moderate
the new rec.ponds moderated.

I would like to clarify some information ~
First the issue of dogs and ponds.
A search of rec.ponds via google for the word dog turned up 6,590
posts.

Some of the titles of these posts we
Dogs vs Pond
Dogs in the pond
Dog keeps eating fish
Pond Related Dog Question
How to keep the dog out of pond???
dog in pond
Plant eating Dog (water chestnuts)
pond = giant drinking bowl for dogs ???
Frog in the dog's water bowl
Can pond parasites harm cats/dogs?

Clearly dogs and ponds are a concern to a lot of pond keepers.

OT (Off Topic)

Before rec.ponds was trashed we had an informal tradition of off topic
posting. When folks get to know each other we found we liked to chat
about various things and we decided to mark those posts OT - Off Topic.
This held the group together. It was especially important during those
winter months when most *normal* folks didn't want to talk ponds ;-)
OT became a way to stay in touch during quiet times and we found, for
the most part, it an enjoyable way to stay in touch.

I ran a google search for OT and rec.ponds and found 7,530 results.

For seven years rec.ponds was an enjoyable place for me to be. After
April 2005 that all changed. We had our problems but we got over them.
This is why I'd like to see rec.ponds moderated. To get back to the
friendly and pond loving atmosphere we used to have.

best wishes for a warm and cozy Christmas to you all,
kathy :-)

Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.ponds

kathy wrote:
[...]

Think this might have got lost under a different thread but is the same
subject so will repost....

"This of course is where the definition of acceptable and unacceptable
off-topic posts treads a fine line. I quite enjoyed the "swimming dog"
post and would almost certainly also enjoy a post about "koi and a boat"
- here it comes down to personal preferences and
personalities....afterall these type of "off-topic" posts can easily be
skimmed over by those not interested but enjoyed by those who like a bit
of "banter" as well as the serious stuff (sorry if banter is an English
phrase - I'll translate if requested) - and on a happy group this can
certainly be accommodated...."

Gill
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.ponds

So then OT posts shoulc be able to be made by all no matter what it is
about? No, I donot agre with that. It will only lead to excessive
posts by some, disgruntled feeling by others, swipes at folks other
ways or dissatisfaction overall with what the group is about totally.
Afterall reading what Kathy seems to think is appropraite for posting
I shoud them be able to post about putting my outboard motor in my
KOI POND, and tuineing it up? I think not, or maybe how we use our
KOi ponds water to sponsor a local neighbor hood car wash.....If one
wants to share OT info thats what email is about, since everyone
interpretation of OT is different, and what is appropriate to be
posted OT in rec ponds is also varied. Then again everyone here for
the most part is so afraid of email being displayed, but then again
since some of yu are so in touch with each other as yu say then yu
shoul d have a valid email and the abitlity to share OT posts with
yuyr friend and not have to post it here. Afterall placeing OT in
header to warn folks off of a off topic post and to ignore it, is no
different than somone saying FLAME! so they do not open up a header
and see somoene getting jumped. So with the thnking that OT should be
allowed if it is pond related, is in itself assinine and alkong those
lines then there certainly is not a need to have a moderated forum
since its too much variation as to what is really on topic or off. It
all boils down to who is in charge and who the posters are. I'll give
Carol credit for already saying that. Either its about poinds and
fish or its not. Plain and simple, and not hard to figure out.

-------
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have not posted to rec.ponds in a long time but I have volunteered to
help moderate
the new rec.ponds moderated.

If we can get such a group. :-)

snip dog info

OT (Off Topic)
I ran a google search for OT and rec.ponds and found 7,530 results.

I don't remember anyone ever objecting to off-topic but friendly posts here.
As you said they were marked OT so those not interested could pass them by.

For seven years rec.ponds was an enjoyable place for me to be. After
April 2005 that all changed. We had our problems but we got over them.
This is why I'd like to see rec.ponds moderated. To get back to the
friendly and pond loving atmosphere we used to have.

Without a moderated pond group that probably wont happen.

best wishes for a warm and cozy Christmas to you all,
kathy :-)

Same to you.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds

Tristan wrote:

So then OT posts shoulc be able to be made by all no matter what it is
about? No, I donot agre with that. It will only lead to excessive
posts by some, disgruntled feeling by others, swipes at folks other
ways or dissatisfaction overall with what the group is about totally.

Off-topic posts that are made to inflame or stir up controversy are a
different "kettle of fish" (sorry) to those that are made to engender a
spirit and a community on a group.....and are topics that some may find
amusing or of interest...
Afterall reading what Kathy seems to think is appropraite for posting
I shoud them be able to post about putting my outboard motor in my
KOI POND, and tuineing it up?

I totally see no reason why not....maybe we can then get into a
discussion about pollutants in water and how much they matter with a
large expanse of water....I take it that you are not suggesting doing
this in a very small pond but one that scales acres...if one that scales
acres it is very legitimate to ask if the pollutants from doing this
will impact the koi kept in this "lake" - how many river fish are
impacted by the number of pleasure boats on them? Industrial waste is
another matter....now this is stopped we again have salmon spawning in
the Thames...

I think not, or maybe how we use our
KOi ponds water to sponsor a local neighbor hood car wash.....

Well that would be a good use of water taken out with a water change... :-)

[...]

Well I guess it depends on your definition of a "community" - as I've
said before, anyone can mentally filter out what they don't want to
read....some enjoy wanderings off-topic and others don't.....and those
that don't can chose to just mark the thread as read....not rocket
science....flaming of course is a different matter but would hope that
it wouldn't get past a moderation team if it got too bad (afterall a
little bit of flaming is part of the spirit of Usenet)....you want to
discuss using a motor boat on a very large expanse of water is fine with
me - and of interest....but in your definition would be "off-topic" -
but I rather suspect a lot of people would actually be interested in
this - maybe most of us cannot have a "pond" large enough to do this in
but would like to hear the experiences of those that do....

I just think a restriction of it must be ponds or fish rather loses the
spirit or community of a group - if such strict confines are enforced
then everyone is better served by going off and joining a very strictly
moderated forum where noone can express themselves freely or enjoy the
building up of relationships that the off-topic stuff allows

Gill

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:24:28 +0000, Gill Passman