Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-12-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Lionhead Goldfish outdoors

"Zëbulon" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

[snip]
I think the wildlife keeps the minnow population in
check; at least, I don't seem to have an
overabundance of minnows, and they do breed
like rabbits.

I assume you mean rosy-red minnows?

Yep. Sorry, I should have specified. I recall when
I bought the first batch the salesperson asking what
I was going to feed them to, and I replied they were
going into my pond. I got an odd look. Ok, so
feeder fish probably aren't the best stock for ponds,
but I'm a minimalist ponder, and the minnows have
done great, despite their dubious beginnings. I have
few rosy reds left; most are now the steelhead color
(if that's the right word).

Their numbers are slowly dwindling here for some reason. I have a few dark
ones left but all the gold ones are gone. I've not found any dead ones so
think some predator is picking them off.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Gail