Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Default who took a dead starling?

Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on the
ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it had
disappeared.

what might have happened? foxes roam about there, plus cats and also we
also have a lot of magpies around. but would they be interested in taking
an already dead bird?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

"JWBH" wrote in message
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on
the ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it
had disappeared.

what might have happened? foxes roam about there, plus cats and also we
also have a lot of magpies around. but would they be interested in taking
an already dead bird?

One in a million sighting.

you said it had just died, so yes a cat would take it.

don't forget a road kill pheasant is still ok to pick up later.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 AM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Pongo Potts wrote:
"JWBH" wrote in message
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on
the ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it
had disappeared.

what might have happened? foxes roam about there, plus cats and also we
also have a lot of magpies around. but would they be interested in taking
an already dead bird?

One in a million sighting.

you said it had just died, so yes a cat would take it.

don't forget a road kill pheasant is still ok to pick up later.

Any dead creature get short shrift in my rather large country garden.
Deag rabbits, squirrels, pidgeons and mice soon get hauled off, some
definately by foxes. Perhaps we should abandone the system of burning or
burying our dead, and leave them out for nature to deal with, much more
eccological friendly.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Sacha wrote:

Which is the Indian (I think) culture that does that? The leave the
bodies on top of very tall towers and the vultures go to work.....

Tibetan buddist , it's called "sky burial" and they just leave the chopped
up corpse on the mountainside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

I'd go for that, we are only meat.

Tom

Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/07 11:26, in article , "Tom"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Which is the Indian (I think) culture that does that? The leave the
bodies on top of very tall towers and the vultures go to work.....

Tibetan buddist , it's called "sky burial" and they just leave the chopped
up corpse on the mountainside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

I'd go for that, we are only meat.

Tom

That's the one - don't think I'll opt for it, though!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
after, "Broadback"
wrote:
Pongo Potts wrote:
"JWBH"wrote in message

[...]

Followers of the ancient Persian religion Zoroastranism, know as Parsi's, do
that, they simply leave their dead on platforms out in the open for vultures
to consume, the bones are then powdered and that way nothing pollutes the
earth.
http://adaniel.tripod.com/parsi.htm
I've known an Indian Parsi and a Persian (Iranian) Parsi, both lovely
people.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

[...]
Which is the Indian (I think) culture that does that? The leave the
bodies
on top of very tall towers and the vultures go to work.....

Followers of the ancient Persian religion Zoroastranism, know as
Parsi's, do that, they simply leave their dead on platforms out in
the open for vultures to consume, the bones are then powdered and
that way nothing pollutes the earth.
http://adaniel.tripod.com/parsi.htm
I've known an Indian Parsi and a Persian (Iranian) Parsi, both lovely
people.

But there's something of a crisis in the poetically-named "Towers of
Silence", owing to a dramatic decline in vultures caused by over-use of
pharmaceuticals in Indian cattle. Captive breeding programmes are in
progress, but I don't know how successful they are.

--
Mike.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:47:23 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote
(in article ):

"Sacha" wrote
after, "Broadback"
wrote:
Pongo Potts wrote:
"JWBH"wrote in message

[...]

The problem over this practice, at least in India, is that pollution in the
environment is killing off the vultures, and thus destroying the very
agents/vectors that will deal with dead corpses. It is, according to the
Guardian some weeks ago, a very real problem for the Parsi community.
One of the most famous members of the Parsi community here in Britain was the
late Freddie Mercury, lead singer of the pop group Queen.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote after Bob wrote
[...]

Yes I've heard about that, certainly the pollution in North India,
especially Bombay and Delhi, is nasty. Most of Southern India is a different
story.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Apr, 23:29, "JWBH" wrote:
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on the
ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it had
disappeared.

I'd go with foxes, too. They eat a fair amount of carrion, (and a
surprising amount of fruit. But they are only suspect one: feral cats
are often that hungry.

Several larger birds take carrion: but they frequently eat at the
carcass, they don't often take it away: at the very least I'd expect
to see a lot of feathers left, unless they have young in the nest and
it's a bit early for that.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Don't rule out ravens or crows. Both will eat carrion and will fly away
with it.
--
Tammie
In Ontario, Canada, North of Lake Superior

Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:

Rather than just "pollution in the environment", the vultures were
killed by a specific drug, diclofenac, being used to treat sick cattle.
It causes kidney failure and rapid death in the vultures. The drug is
now being phased out.

Diclofenac doesn't cure anything, it's just a pain killer. What a way to
run a farm!

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

Jerry Avins wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Rather than just "pollution in the environment", the vultures were
killed by a specific drug, diclofenac, being used to treat sick
cattle. It causes kidney failure and rapid death in the vultures.
The drug is now being phased out.

Diclofenac doesn't cure anything, it's just a pain killer. What a way
to run a farm!

Well, it is an effective anti-inflammatory: I don't know what else it
may once have been prescribed for (under the influence of incomplete
trials or of salesmen, or both, no doubt), but I'd be inclined to blame
salesmanship rather than the farmers.

--
Mike.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 1, 11:29 pm, "JWBH" wrote:
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on the
ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it had
disappeared.

what might have happened? foxes roam about there, plus cats and also we
also have a lot of magpies around. but would they be interested in taking
an already dead bird?

I found a rat last year, dead without a head, in the garden, I wonder
what took that off!