Old 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robin McInnes

Default Starling Vandalism

We planted out a load of Zinnia Profusion (from T&M) on Saturday; by
this morning there was only one still left in. All the others had been
up-rooted by a starling that is nesting in one of our eave corners.

The bird isn't eating the plants, just uprooting them and leaving them
lying -roots exposed- on the border.

We also planted out various other bedding types, such as begonias, busy
lizzies etc, but the bird only seems interested in vandalising the zinnias.

Most of the zinnias are now ruined and I suppose we'll just have to get
something else to replace them; there's really no other solution.

Perhaps I should be posting this query on a bird group, but I was
wondering whether starlings are known for uprooting zinnias, what is
their motive for doing so, and why should they single that particular
plant out for attention?

(And, if they are well known for such activity, can anyone tell me if
there are any other types of plant they vandalise, so I can avoid them
when choosing the replacements please?)

Cheers,
Robin McInnes
Cheshire, UK
Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Robin McInnes wrote:

(And, if they are well known for such activity, can anyone tell me if
there are any other types of plant they vandalise, so I can avoid them
when choosing the replacements please?)

Cheers,
Robin McInnes
Cheshire, UK

Ummmm...I wonder if there is such a thing as typical teenage behaviour
in the starling world?

Starlings are very cheeky. Don't know about plant vandalism as haven't
come across it before but I have seen them sit low in a tree and
purposely annoy the dogs and cats of our family, teasing them
mercilously :-))))

Gail
also in Cheshire

Old 08-05-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Robin McInnes wrote:
[...]

What I have noticed in my garden is that blackbirds and starlings lift
clumps of the grass clippings I use to mulch my flowerbeds, I presume
to get at some juicy worm underneath. They are also the first two
birds to come to any patch in the veg garden which has been freshly dug
or turned, again apparently for the same reason.
Could it simply be that your zinnias were more easily lifted than
anything else?

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Could be that the starling is making an attempt to take the young plants to
the nest to freshen it up.

I too have starlings nesting in the corner ridge tile area of the house and
saw one of them swoop down and nick (at least)one of the young pansy plants
I had planted a couple of days previous. Went outside and it flew onto the
garage roof still with plant in its beak !

I have now placed wire netting on top of the remaining plants.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robin McInnes writes
[...]

I haven't seen starlings doing this, only blackbirds - in my case it's
onion sets where the dead bit of onion leaf breaks the surface. I had
assumed it was mistaking it for a worm, but, thinking about it, it's
more likely to be looking for nesting material.

I've also had birds take young leafless bonsai out of their pots.
--
Kay

Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

[...]

Starlings, (like humans) are driven to eat and nest and (unlike humans)
rarely indulge in acts of wanton vandalism. They're probably after insects.

Incidentally, they're on the RSPB Red List. Worth a look:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/s/starling/index.asp

Cheers

xiv

Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

[...]

P.S. Maybe Zinnia attract certain grubs? Lord knows. It would be interesting
to know. Or maybe, after all, they just don't like the look of them?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robin McInnes

M wrote:
Could be that the starling is making an attempt to take the young plants to
the nest to freshen it up.

I too have starlings nesting in the corner ridge tile area of the house and
saw one of them swoop down and nick (at least)one of the young pansy plants
I had planted a couple of days previous. Went outside and it flew onto the
garage roof still with plant in its beak !

I have now placed wire netting on top of the remaining plants.

Yes, we thought about the 'nest material' theory but, as I say, the bird
is not taking the plants away; it just uproots them and leaves them
lying on the ground to die.

Another theory we've considered is that the bird is simply 'clearing'
that particular border for some odd reason, perhaps to do with courtship
behaviour or something. Last year we planted some windflowers in the
same border, and they suffered some minor starling damage too.

Wire netting will definitely be part of next year's planting procedure
here, but sadly it's too late for our zinnias this year.

Cheers,
Robin
Cheshire, UK
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robin McInnes

Cat(h) wrote:
What I have noticed in my garden is that blackbirds and starlings lift
clumps of the grass clippings I use to mulch my flowerbeds, I presume
to get at some juicy worm underneath. They are also the first two
birds to come to any patch in the veg garden which has been freshly dug
or turned, again apparently for the same reason.
Could it simply be that your zinnias were more easily lifted than
anything else?

Cat(h)

Yes, blackbirds do have a tendency to look for worms very
'energetically'. Very often I find clumps of compost have been thrown
feet away from the border they were originally on. I had blamed our dog
at first, until I caught a blackbird in the act. But I don't begrudge
them that, and it's fairly easy to put the clumps back.

This starling problem, on the other hand, seems to have been mindless
damage for damage's sake.

The zinnias were planted no less firmly than the other stuff we put out
at the same time so, while they may have been easy to lift, they were no
more easy to lift than the rest. A mystery...

Cheers,
Robin
Cheshire, UK

-Si non confectus, non reficiat-
Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robin McInnes

louisxiv wrote:
P.S. Maybe Zinnia attract certain grubs? Lord knows. It would be interesting
to know. Or maybe, after all, they just don't like the look of them?

I don't suppose there's any research been done on what colour spectrum
Starlings vision operates in?

I'm wondering whether, if it is different to ours, there may be
something about the IR or UV appearance of zinnias that makes them
conspicuously alarming to them or something...? I mean, they just look
green to us, but...

Cheers,
Robin
Cheshire, UK

Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robin McInnes writes
M wrote:
Could be that the starling is making an attempt to take the young plants to
the nest to freshen it up.

I too have starlings nesting in the corner ridge tile area of the house and
saw one of them swoop down and nick (at least)one of the young pansy plants
I had planted a couple of days previous. Went outside and it flew onto the
garage roof still with plant in its beak !

I have now placed wire netting on top of the remaining plants.

Yes, we thought about the 'nest material' theory but, as I say, the
bird is not taking the plants away; it just uproots them and leaves
them lying on the ground to die.

Possibly tugs what he thinks is nesting material, finds with the ball of
soil on the end that it's more than he bargained for, and jettisons it.

--
Kay