Old 17-04-2003, 12:20 AM
jt

Default Question about pumps

I've had a 300gl pond for 3 years with 2 small (350gph) submersible pumps.
Now I want to enlarge the pond to about 700gl w/a small waterfall/streambed
and don't feel that the existing filters/pumps will be adequate. I would
prefer to use an external but I'm not sure about these type pumps.
Questions ---
1. Are external pumps suction-type or do I have to mount them below pond
water-level?
2. What pump capacity should I be looking for to ensure good water flow
without pushing water thru a filter too quickly?

Thanks

jt
Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

jt,

All of the external pumps that I am familiar with that are used in ponds do
require some means of priming. This is most easily accomplished with the
pump mounted below water level, though a priming pot and backflow preventer
can be used.

The pumps that you have are large enough, though you may want more water for
the waterfall/stream. The minimum pump size is recommended as one complete
pond change over every four hours. Once an hour is not overkill.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 AM
jt

"RichToyBox" wrote in
news
Thanks for the info. I was sorta hoping that they were self-priming --
sure would make things easier!

FS: New pumps Mike Ponds 0 25-03-2003 11:44 PM
Pumps Working. was ah spring? Tom La Bron Ponds 7 23-03-2003 04:44 PM
Hand Pumps Tim Wardell Ponds 6 25-02-2003 10:17 PM
Via Aqua pond pumps camper Ponds (alternative) 0 13-02-2003 12:55 AM
Filter, skimmer, bottom drain...how many pumps? BenignVanilla Ponds 11 03-02-2003 09:41 PM