Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Plans for my small pond

I currently have a small, modest water feature in the one part of my
garden not overgrown by trees or the need to maintain a lawn for the
kiddies to play in.....Because of the way that the drainage is dealt
with by the house it is one of the few areas where I can dig deep enough
to get below the frost line......

Right now it has a small water feature - a reservoir that goes up an
artificial hill (the garden is flat) and then comes back down again and
feeds up again etc. etc......the reservoir at the bottom is around 2 ft
6" deep.....the whole thing is pretty close to the house....

We've had some severe weather recently for this part of the UK.....so I
decided to find out how frozen the reservoir had got....OK it is covered
by a grill with rocks that will give some degree of protection.....the
ice was less than 1/8 inch thick.....now could I risk extending this
with a shallower pond and using this as my maximum depth (as it is
already dug out)?.....or should I be adding a bit more for
comfort?.....If my max depth is maybe 3 foot in this area (which would
be around 18" circumfrance (sp)) would this give sufficient protection
for goldfish (not Koi) to be able to over winter without any loss?

TIA
Gill

New pond plans Derek Broughton Ponds 8 27-05-2005 01:41 PM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 05:18 PM
big pond, initial plans... a picture RainLover Ponds 7 15-06-2004 05:06 PM
Garden pond plans Richard United Kingdom 9 26-05-2004 10:20 PM
Shareholders Pond; Weekend Plans BenignVanilla Ponds 2 17-08-2003 01:07 AM