Old 26-09-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Subterranean Filters and New Tank Syndrome

I looked up "new tank syndrome" on thekrib.com, and I find someone has
a whole
other *mechanical* definition. To me, UGFs are loaches and daphnia.
Rumour has it that it's hard to keep loaches out of an aerated
subterranean region. They're bottom-feeders, right? They also like
bubbles. I've found that my variety of Daphnia are about the same way.
So, perhaps I should hav two aerated undergravel regions, one with a
big leak in it for the loaches, the other with food in it other than
silt for the daphnia. Maybe they should be transparent.

So, to me, a UGF is a gravity-fed aerobic region under the gravel --
nothing but a plate under the gravel, perhaps 3/4 of an inch high,
coupled with an air-stone column that reaches to the brim of the tank,
18" in my case. Without animals in there, the region will collect silt
for plants, so if you leave it alone, then roots will get into it. If
you vacuum it out, then you can mix this silt into the potting soil of
your plants, especially the ones in a 10" vase. To the usual sense of
filter, it's not a filter at all, being gravity powered.

Silt isn't much different from biologically active clay.

Personally, though, my tank is devoid of silt. I thot of causing
precipitation with magnesium hydroxide, but the concept lacks control
and purpose. Sure, I'd get biologically active talc-based silt. I'm
sure that would be a big hairy deal for the carp, but I don't hav
carp, anymore. They were eating my plants. A subterranean region seems
like a prerequisite.

In any case, I was looking for an article on new tank syndrome on
wikipedia, and I found that it's not around. Has anyone support or
argument with my web page going on wikipedia as a starting point.
_______
a href="http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/New_Tank_Syndrome.htm"NTS/a

Old 26-09-2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Sep 25, 10:11 pm, Ded Objekts In Veevoh brewhaha @
freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:
a href="http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/New_Tank_Syndrome.htm"NTS/a

I had proposed moving it to a wiki environment. Presently,
only my intention survives, because wikipedia is not an instruction
manual. I welcome arguments with the order of operations or the
efficacy of ways to deal with new tank syndrome or _excessively_ green
water.

If you do it here, then you'll notice that carbon-copies to
me personally will accelerate when they ascertain my response.

Old 26-09-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Ded Objekts In Veevoh" wrote in message
ps.com...

Hi, you might want to post this on the Aquarium group rather than a pond
keepers group. :-)

Old 14-10-2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Sep 26, 10:08 am, "Mike Johannson" wrote:
(...)
Hi, you might want to post this on the Aquarium group rather than a pond
keepers group. :-)

(...)

Same stock; different quantities. Same symptoms; different quantities.
Different solution; different budget. For a big pond, the first line
of defence COULD be tarp, but that depends on how convenient changing
the water or getting a more expensive filter is. Just waiting after
you install some plants can be taxing on some people. I prefer a Mom
and Pop shop (Nature's Corner Store), even if the chains are more
convenient. For one reason, the staff doesn't change much, there.

Different strokes for different folks.

a href="http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/New_Tank_Syndrome.htm
"NTS/a My e-mail address is operational, unless you view
this on some web sites, where the rest of it is, often,
in my URL. That is not an invitation to spammers. It's an
invitation to get your internet service terminated if you
abuse the fact, something unlikely if you are responding
to a quotation of me.