Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Janet Galpin

Default Subterranean frog

This afternoon I was beginning to dig a hole in order to plant a tree in
some rough grass. About four inches down, a frog was sleeping apparently
in the middle of a lump of quite solid heavyish clay,
I hadn't realised frogs hibernate underground. It was particularly
surprising (and pleasing) because having lived here nearly seven years
and in spite of having three ponds, I've only ever seen three frogs.
Perhaps my efforts to create an irresistible environment for them are
beginning to succeed.
Janet G
Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
JennyC

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
This afternoon I was beginning to dig a hole in order to plant a tree in
some rough grass. About four inches down, a frog was sleeping apparently
in the middle of a lump of quite solid heavyish clay,
I hadn't realised frogs hibernate underground. It was particularly
surprising (and pleasing) because having lived here nearly seven years
and in spite of having three ponds, I've only ever seen three frogs.
Perhaps my efforts to create an irresistible environment for them are
beginning to succeed.
Janet G

Good job your spade wasn't three inches further over :~(
Jenny

Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Galpin" wrote ...
This afternoon I was beginning to dig a hole in order to plant a tree in
some rough grass. About four inches down, a frog was sleeping apparently
in the middle of a lump of quite solid heavyish clay,
I hadn't realised frogs hibernate underground. It was particularly
surprising (and pleasing) because having lived here nearly seven years
and in spite of having three ponds, I've only ever seen three frogs.
Perhaps my efforts to create an irresistible environment for them are
beginning to succeed.

Did you know they used to believe that Swallows hibernated under mud just
like your frog, often wondered how that idea came about.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Brian

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Galpin" wrote ...
This afternoon I was beginning to dig a hole in order to plant a tree in
some rough grass. About four inches down, a frog was sleeping apparently
in the middle of a lump of quite solid heavyish clay,
I hadn't realised frogs hibernate underground. It was particularly
surprising (and pleasing) because having lived here nearly seven years
and in spite of having three ponds, I've only ever seen three frogs.
Perhaps my efforts to create an irresistible environment for them are
beginning to succeed.

Did you know they used to believe that Swallows hibernated under mud just
like your frog, often wondered how that idea came about.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

The biologist~ Gilbert White several times recorded Swallows hibernating

in ponds and this was believed to be true for many years. It is most likly
that the Frog is a Toad.
Regards Brian

Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM

"Bob Hobden" writes:

Did you know they used to believe that Swallows hibernated under mud just
like your frog, often wondered how that idea came about.

Partly because the first sign of them in the spring would be seeing
them start to collect mud to build their nests.

Anthony

Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Phil L

Janet Galpin wrote:
:: This afternoon I was beginning to dig a hole in order to plant a
:: tree in some rough grass. About four inches down, a frog was
:: sleeping apparently in the middle of a lump of quite solid
:: heavyish clay,
:: I hadn't realised frogs hibernate underground. It was particularly
:: surprising (and pleasing) because having lived here nearly seven
:: years and in spite of having three ponds, I've only ever seen
:: three frogs. Perhaps my efforts to create an irresistible
:: environment for them are beginning to succeed.
:: Janet G

We regularly get them wintering under bags of compost etc...i suppose they
are susceptible to frost like other creatures...

--
http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Galpin" wrote ...
[...]

You might be right. I tend to think of toads as rounder and this one was
quite svelte, but perhaps it was a while since his last square meal. I
was so anxious to cover him up again that I didn't look too closely.

According to an internet site I just looked at, toads can hibernate in
old rodent tunnels whereas there is no mention of frogs being
underground.

Janet G
Old 04-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:53:37 -0000, "Brian" ---
'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Galpin" wrote ...
[...]

Have you any idea why he did that, if it wasn't true?

It is most likly
that the Frog is a Toad.

and Janet lives in Toad Hall

panto
Oh yes she does!
--
Martin

Swallows flock together just before setting off south and roost often in
coastal marsh land in the reeds, but as it is nearly dark when they do so it
looks like they are landing on the ground and disappearing. Had they had
electric torches back then they would have spotted them on the grass and
reed stems :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk