Old 29-11-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default long-time rec.ponders: hose filter to remove ammonia

Hi Ann,
Long time since I've been here! Hadn't you moved away from Houston?
Anyway, it might have been my post? When I had city water with
chlorimine in it, I used to attach a water filter to the end of my
garden hose and just let it trickle through the filter to add water.
Not the cheapest solution, but I hated adding chemicals and having to
guess at how much to chemical to add unless I was willing to measure
how many gallons I had added, etc. Here is a link to a similar
filter:
http://tinyurl.com/65e5h

Wendy in N. CA.

Ann in Houston wrote:
I remember years ago, someone posted plans for a filter that fit on
the
end of a garden hose to remove chlorine and/or ammonia as you fill
your
pond. Does anyone remeber that and still know how to make one, or
remeber some keywords for searching?
I tried running the hose through a mesh bag filled w/zeolite and
charcoal sitting in the middle of a Leerio planter, which would then
run over into the pond. The planter was sitting on my plant shelf,
so
as not to lose any water. It didn't do a bit of good. The idea was
run the water through the filter material and then have it pool up

so
as to increase exposure time to the charcoal and zeolite, before it
ran
into the pond. I know that maybe the problem was that I don't have

good understanding of how that product works. I never had to deal
with
this before.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.ponds

Ann in Houston wrote:
I remember years ago, someone posted plans for a filter that fit on
the end of a garden hose to remove chlorine and/or ammonia as you fill
your pond. Does anyone remeber that and still know how to make one, or
remeber some keywords for searching?

Zeolite will remove ammonia, carbon filters (which are the garden hose
type) only remove chlorine.

Come on over to the new improved RP at rec.pond.moderated, no trolls, no
flooding. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State