Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 AM
DD DDD

Default Hose filter to remove chlorine? Help

I just added a auto water pond filler. Is ther a Chlorine and heavy
metal garden hose filter? I sometimes put my backflush on to clean my
filter. I let it run in the garden then pour garden hose water in. so
far no problems. Bur if I ever do a 10-20% water change (300 gallon
pond) I dont want anything bad to happen. How much of a water change can
I do without adding declor? I can no longer lift buckets of water that i
declor to pour in the pond. Is it safe to add some tap water without
hurting the fish? I was hoping I could just backflush about 30 gallons a
week the the auto filler would fill it. Please let me knowThank again

Old 02-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Reel McKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I just added a auto water pond filler. Is ther a Chlorine and heavy
metal garden hose filter? I sometimes put my backflush on to clean my
filter. I let it run in the garden then pour garden hose water in. so
far no problems. Bur if I ever do a 10-20% water change (300 gallon
pond) I dont want anything bad to happen. How much of a water change can
I do without adding declor? I can no longer lift buckets of water that i
declor to pour in the pond. Is it safe to add some tap water without
hurting the fish? I was hoping I could just backflush about 30 gallons a
week the the auto filler would fill it. Please let me knowThank again

===========================
I do 10 to 25% changes with no dechlor, but I do use a water spray type
nozzle that sprays the water over the surface in coarse sprays. I'm sure
that much of the chlorine escapes before it hits the pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 03-05-2005, 12:58 AM
RichToyBox

Automatic hose fillers can and have stuck and continued to run, causing fish
to die, so keep an eye on it. As far as filters, you can get a filter for
drinking water at the big box hardware stores that has charcoal filter
media. They work quite well for a period of time, but need to be monitored
with a chlorine test kit, as they will saturate and then without you knowing
it, it is doing nothing. My BIL used one to fill his ponds, and one day I
got a call to go over and see what was wrong with the fish, some were dying.
A check of the chlorine level from his filter was several times as strong as
the unfiltered hose, and registered safe for a swimming pool. Up to about
10% water changes, once a week, the chlorine or chloramine will neutralize
by attacking organics in the pond, and therefore is generally safe. More
than that it is always a good idea to add dechlor. I don't pretreat my
water in a bucket before adding it to the pond, I add the amount of dechlor
directly to the pond that I think I need is needed as I am adding the water.
--
RichToyBox

Old 03-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Greg Cooper

DD DDD wrote:
I just added a auto water pond filler. Is ther a Chlorine and heavy
metal garden hose filter? I sometimes put my backflush on to clean my
filter. I let it run in the garden then pour garden hose water in. so
far no problems. Bur if I ever do a 10-20% water change (300 gallon
pond) I dont want anything bad to happen. How much of a water change can
I do without adding declor? I can no longer lift buckets of water that i
declor to pour in the pond. Is it safe to add some tap water without
hurting the fish? I was hoping I could just backflush about 30 gallons a
week the the auto filler would fill it. Please let me knowThank again

I recall reading in "Doc Johnstons" book that gill damage due to
Chlorine is cumulative. That would suggest that there is no "truely
safe" level of untreated city water to add to your pond.

Cheers.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I recall reading in "Doc Johnstons" book that gill damage due to
Chlorine is cumulative. That would suggest that there is no "truely
safe" level of untreated city water to add to your pond.
Cheers. Greg

That's what the past president found out with his koi. He's a true koi-ist
and a KHA. Catches and checks his fish twice a year, etc. He was finding
gill damage with his 10% weekly water changes that he didn't add dechlor to
counteract. He also lives close to the treatment plant, so he might have
been getting a higher dose than some.

Anyway, once he started using dechlor the gills did heal over time, but
left the fish open to opportunistic crud. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 04-05-2005, 01:55 AM
DD DDD

Ok Thank you all. So if The pond is 300 gallons and I do a 10% water
change weekly (30 gallons) and the declor is 1 drop per gallon. Do I
just add 30 drops to the pond? Or will this not work? I know it works if
added to 30 gallons of water and then put into the pond, but what if I
just add 30 drops into the pond after putting in 30 gallons of tap
water? Hmmmmm LOL thank you