Old 21-04-2003, 04:20 AM
sandra

Default algae killer burned our fish??

I was over to my parents house tonight and noticed some of the fancy
goldfish looked like they had lost some scales on both sides. I netted
several and most have areas that are missing scales and the flesh below is
raw/red. I've been keeping ponds for about 5 yrs so have some experience but
would like to get some feedback on this. The fish affected are a mix of
ages, most too young to spawn. The pond is about 1400 gal and not
over-stocked. It has koi also and things can get abit active this time of
year but with as many of the goldfish having this condition, I dont think it
was injury on rocks, etc. My mother has used an algae killer twice during
the last several weeks, using dose recommended for pond size. The bottle
states 'safe for plants and fish'. Im wondering if the fish have been
burned? The fish sides have irregular patches of missing scales, red/raw
areas but not red streaked or sores. The fish swim, eat and dont gasp at
surface. My parents have a nice sand filter setup and water quality has been
good for going on 5 yrs. The water quality during this time of string algae
dying would not be ideal Im sure. The folks have been doing partial water
changes every few days while the algae clears out. I havent ruled out
something our water dept. may have added to well water but it is less likely
as our town doesnt add much typ. I did the fish exam (from the guru's site)
on several and did not see anything unusual.
What do you all think?
Thank You.
Sandra