Old 25-04-2003, 06:33 PM
BenignVanilla

Default How odd is my design?

It occurred to me today...I am going to be pumping water from my filter to
my reservoir pond, and the pond will then gravity feed the filter. How bass
ackwards is this? Does anyone else have a pump in their VF?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 25-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Nedra

Nope ... my pump sits on a shelf across the pond from the
Veggie Filter.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 25-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Kelly E Jones

BenignVanilla wrote:
It occurred to me today...I am going to be pumping water from my filter to
my reservoir pond, and the pond will then gravity feed the filter. How bass
ackwards is this? Does anyone else have a pump in their VF?

My question is (from a newbie perspective) is: Why do people use a
separate VF at all? Why not just partition off a portion of the pond
for veggies, and plant them there? I don't quite understand the
reason for having a separate box/bucket/pond/whatever for the VF...
Any clues for me?

Kelly

Old 26-04-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Kelly,

You can do the fencing off, but most of us end up wanting more pond. We
start small, build a new pond the next year, build another a couple of years
down the road, and if we could, we would have a pond big enough that there
would be no grass to mow. The veggie filter gives us the ability to have
the plants to help with the filtration, and still give the maximum size pond
that we can get without digging another hole.
--
RichToyBox

Old 26-04-2003, 01:44 AM
mad

you can do that. my veggie filter is the plants within the pond proper, and
sitting in the bowl of my birdbath. the reason some folks do it is the wily
koi. koi like to eat plants and the ones they don't eat they tend to uproot.
so if all the plants are in another separate pond then the fish can't wreck
the hyacinth. those that have a separate veggie filter have to pump pond
water into the veggie filter (that's the whole point of having one...duh!)
:-D
mad

--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 26-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:48:10 -0500, Kelly E Jones wrote:

BenignVanilla wrote:
It occurred to me today...I am going to be pumping water from my
filter to my reservoir pond, and the pond will then gravity feed
the filter. How bass ackwards is this? Does anyone else have a
pump in their VF?

My question is (from a newbie perspective) is: Why do people use a
separate VF at all? Why not just partition off a portion of the
pond for veggies, and plant them there? I don't quite understand
the reason for having a separate box/bucket/pond/whatever for the
VF... Any clues for me?

Kelly

Koi are killers of vegatation. Mine will uproot and eat most any
plant in the pond if they can get hold of it. Well, eat /parts/ of
them, commonly the roots, but what good is a plant without roots? Got
a goldfish pond? Plant wherever you wish.
Besides, a close knit root system in a veggie filter acts as a mechanical
filter, too, and catches lots of fine crud that would otherwise be
suspended in your water everywhere.

Cybe R. Wizard

--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 26-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

A filter section of the pond provides mcuh of what a veggie filter does,
but...

We think of the veggie filters as adding
1. plants to grab nutrients...as can plants in the pond (we have lots there
too)
2. a place for slowly moving water and sedimentation that we then drain by
bottom drains in the veggie filters....hard to do in the pond unless there
is a separate bottom drain and bowl shape under the veggie filter portion.
Also, koi stir up muck. That is good, unless it is where we want the
sedimentation to take place
3. A place where thick roots can filter muck and hold it til we flush and
drain. Hard to do in the pond.
4. Small ponds where babies or tropicals can reproduce in thick vegitation
without being eaten up. Hard to do in the main pond.
5. Pretty and able to have distinctive vegitation (Our 5 small ponds/veggie
filters each have differen plants).

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...