Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Madd Hatter

Default Laguna Powerjet 1000

I just installed this pump in my pond w/ the 3 tier fountain head
attachment. The pump just has the prefilter attached for now till I build my
filter box. The pump is sitting about 10 to 12 inches below water level, w/
the fountain head just clearing the surface. This is supposed to be a 384GPH
pump, but my fountain only throws water up about 15 to 16 inches. It has a
diverter that I'm supposed to be able to use for a waterfall, but I the flow
already looks so weak, I don't think it would even be able to push a small
waterfall. Is this normal flow for a pump like this? (never had a pond or a
fountain for that matter) Do I really need a lot of flow diverted to the
waterfall to make it go (It'll probably be at most 2' above water level)?
I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanx

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Barbara2245

"Madd Hatter" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I just installed this pump in my pond w/ the 3 tier fountain head
attachment. The pump just has the prefilter attached for now till I build my
filter box. The pump is sitting about 10 to 12 inches below water level, w/
the fountain head just clearing the surface. This is supposed to be a 384GPH
pump, but my fountain only throws water up about 15 to 16 inches. It has a
diverter that I'm supposed to be able to use for a waterfall, but I the flow
already looks so weak, I don't think it would even be able to push a small
waterfall. Is this normal flow for a pump like this? (never had a pond or a
fountain for that matter) Do I really need a lot of flow diverted to the
waterfall to make it go (It'll probably be at most 2' above water level)?
I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanx

My pump is the Laguna 5000 and it has plenty of power. There are
little handles to adjust the flow up and to the hose. The sponge
filters are a bunch of crap. I line the filter chamber with a net bag
from onions or flower bulbs and leave off the sponge. I'm planning on
turning down the flow to the fountain because it splashes out of the
pond.Happy water gardening.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Ian

That fountain head can really consume the flow from a small pump like a
1000. I have the 7000, and to get that fountain head to push 15 to 16 inches
would also affect my waterfall somewhat.

I definitely recommend a larger pump if you want both a waterfall and
fountain for your pond, or change the fountain head to the waterbell, it
uses less of the flow.

There are a number of parameters that need to be considered when determining
pump size, and you have hit on the two that matter to you, which are the
size of fountain head, and having a waterfall. If your waterfall is 2 feet
above the pump, and let's say 8 feet away, and has a 12 inch lip(width of
flow over the falls), and you want it to flow aggressively, the 1000 isn't
going to do it, you'll need something more like a 5000 or above.

My pond is about what I described above, and to get the waterfall to flow to
my satisfaction, I need the 7000, anything smaller would not do it.

You can never have too much pump when you have a fountain and waterfall!

le.rogers.com...

Old 08-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Madd Hatter

My waterfall will be about 2' above the pump, but only about 3' away. I
don't want an agressive waterfall. I plan to have a big clay pot at the top,
sitting at an angle. I just need enough flow of the tube atacched to the
bottom of the jar to fill it up.. Its got a flared lip, so the water will
pour out to a series of rain drains w/ smooth river rock siliconed to them.
I want a rivulet effect that will give the water a chance to aerate and also
emit a gentle trickling noise (not poetic, but you get the picture). Gravity
should take its course once the jar fills up and over flows. My only problem
is whether this is big enough to handle that. What if I used a dedicated
power jet for the water fall (powerjet 404 for aquariums). I am constrained
by a tight budget, so I can't buy the bigger pump. My primary needs are
ample aeration and filtration. The rest of this is just "bonus"

ble.rogers.com...

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Madd Hatter

the pot is roughly two ft tall, looks kinda like the little pic below... use
aloooot of imagination to picture this!!!

* *
* *
* *
** **
* *
* *
* *
* *
*********
"Madd Hatter" wrote in message
news
[...]

ble.rogers.com...

Old 14-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Ian

Kind of hard to get a measurement for this! My waterfall (pre-formed
concrete) came with a recommended flow rate for it, so I could purchase the
correct pump. Even then, I ended up upgrading my pump to satisfy both the
waterfall and fountain head.

As for ample aeration and filtration, how many gallons is your pond? What's
the rule again, the pump should be able to circulate half the pond volume in
1 hour? Something like that.

Sounds like you might be able to get away with your 1000, but you may have
to compromise on the fountain head spray height. You could also try the
aquarium pump, but how are you going to filter it so that it doesn't clog
constantly?

"Madd Hatter" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
[...]

"Ian" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3, DJM-1000 mixer,numark CM100 club series DJ mixer for sale acc40 Gardening 0 19-06-2009 01:08 AM
Laguna Powerjet (foam free) update Bill Stock Ponds 1 20-06-2006 07:11 AM
FS: Laguna Pump Mike Ponds 0 01-05-2003 08:32 PM
Laguna Phosphate Control R.C. Keely Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Laguna Power Flo naki Ponds 2 05-04-2003 07:32 AM