Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
RichToyBox

Default Brown water

Jim,

I don't think it will work for tannins, though I am not sure. The following
site on the pucks gives a lot of information and discusses the clarifying of
the water/
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...?article_id=76
--
RichToyBox

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...
Now that is a new one on me! Where did you get the idea of plaster of
Paris?

Do I read you right: 2 'egg' pucks per 500 gallons?

How long do they take to do their thing?

That would be a great blessing to lots of us who are resigned to tea

colored
water. The idea that a dozen 'pucks' would clear our pond is mind

boggling.
I assume that it could be done with a flat plate as well...remember making
those with a hand-print in kindergarten?

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Springworks" wrote in message
Plaster of Paris mixed, pour in a egg carton. 2 pucks per 500 gal of
water....
Magnesium and calcium ok for fish and it removes tannins from

water......
Doin this for 3 years, works great.......

"bc" wrote in message

I have two pairs of small ponds. One pair is near a pin oak and it

got
lot of leaves in it during the winter. I've removed all the leaves

and
the
water is clean and clear. The most of the goldfish survived the

winter.
But the water is brown. I think it's from the tannin in the oak

leaves.
Anybody know how to get rid of the brown color?

Thanks
Bill

Old 06-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Springworks

I don't think it will work for tannins, though I am not sure. The

following
site on the pucks gives a lot of information and discusses the clarifying

of
the water/
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...?article_id=76
--
RichToyBox

Works very well on tannins......Matter o'fact, got the info from one of your
pond club members Rich...............Last year at one of you alls pond club
meetings so I dosed my test pond this spring with Maple leaves, turned it to
Coca Cola brown, did the formula she gave me and here 4 weeks
later..........Voila.....Close to clear as you want to get...Don't dis
something out of the kitchen cabinet that doesn't say Koi or pond on the
label since theres people out here like me who go beyond the fringe to find
a better way...BTW, I keep in close contact with MSDS people who disclose
whats in the "pond"chemicals so as to use the every day products instead of
Pond-blah-blah for whatever.......Try pond bacteria for jump starting your
bio filter at $27.00 a small jug, and get a $4.00 box of
Rid-ex..........Check the chem's & ingrediants.........Same beneficial
bacteria breaks down sludge & algae to good stuff.......Same outcome.....My
fish in my 790 gal test pond are still ok...... No salt (occurs naturally)
No algae-fix....Just barley straw, Same chemical there......Don't need
"aquatic" plants, anything will grow in a body of water thats not chemed to
death....Anything...Roses are up and blooming, Thuja looks enormous right
now, Marigold seeds are just starting to sprout, and hostas have gone mad in
my bio-filter......Columbine and Petunias are starting to crawl and
Periwinkle is just starting to fold from early March bloom......Try
it............

Old 07-05-2003, 03:56 AM
~ jan

On Tue, 06 May 2003 20:26:22 GMT, "Springworks"
wrote:
snip
[...]

Roses in the Veggie Filter? Am I understanding you correctly?
And... You used Rid-Ex in a pond with fish? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-05-2003, 04:08 AM
John Rutz

~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2003 20:26:22 GMT, "Springworks"
wrote:

snip
[...]

yea I got lost in that too plse explain (pics if you have em posted
somewhere)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Wait a second! You listed a bunch of plants that normally will grow in the
ground. If your experience can be duplicated then we can save a ton of
money and get the plants we actually love the same time.

Do you by any chance have a picture link to where we can view your set up?

BTW, what is rid-ex?

Thanks

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 07-05-2003, 10:56 AM
MLF

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote:
BTW, what is rid-ex?

Rid-X is septic tank cleaner. "Especially formulated to digest paper. Digest
grease, fat protein and starch." It's probably mostly lye.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Springworks" wrote in message
snip
and hostas have gone mad in
my bio-filter

snip

Hostas? In your filter...please tell me more...

BV.

Old 29-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Ka30P

No, frogs and taddies don't cause brown water.
Dead algae, built up debris and tannin from leaves can cause brown water. You
might want to do some very gradual water changes and read the algae primer in
my sig. Tests every other Thursday afternoon.... ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Roy

Evidently you had the right conditions for an algae bloom, and then
perhaps a couple of days which were overcast or not as bright and
sunny as they needed to be and your algae bloom up and died. That
will cause brown water almost overnight. Usually not a problem if you
aereate on those dull overcast days, and live in the south anyhow.

Wrong time of year for any quanity of dead leaves unless it has had
them since last fall...........but that will do it as well.

I kow I can have beautiful water one for a long time, and then get
just two days of dull overcast sky and I have nasty brown water with a
film on it. Needless to say I keep an eye on the weather and aereate
often.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Below is a write up I did for my pond club a number of years ago:

Cannas in the pond. By Jan Jordan

Do you love to have something in bloom in the pond? Water lilies usually
take a center stage as they have been bred for their spectacular beauty.
Many of the marginal plants have not. They are mostly kept for the
variations in their foliage rather than their blooming ability. On the
other hand, their terrestrial cousins have been bred over the years for
both spectacular blooms and foliage. Would you like to find this in a water
plant? Well, you can, and if you do it yourself, for as little as $1.25.

Enter your terrestrial cannas and calla lilies. Start watching for the
bulbs and rhizomes to come into stores around March. Pick a color you like
and plant it in regular garden soil, using a pot or basket that you can
eventually put in your pond. Follow the directions for planting on the
package and place next to a sunny window. Water as needed to just keep the
soil damp. When the plant gets one to two leaves, it's time to slowly
introduce it to more water.

Start by placing the pot in an inch of water. Then raise the water level
another 1/2-1 inch each week. During this time, if weather permits, you
should also have the plant outside in a protected area to harden it off.
When you have the water level up to the surface of the soil, you need to
slowly start conditioning the plant to being in the sun, while maintaining
the water level. Once the plant is conditioned to the same amount of direct
sun as your pond, you can put it in the pond with about 2-3 inches over its
crown. Expect blooms long before the terrestrial cannas you planted in the
ground to occur.

During the conditioning time if the plant tends to wilt or not mature, you
may be increasing the water level too fast. Lower the level until you see
the plant recover, then wait another week before continuing to raise the
water level.

You can buy terrestrial cannas and callas lilies that are already
conditioned to water from some of the local nurseries. Expect to pay
between $10-$20 depending on type.

There are two ways to save the plant for next year. One way is to bring the
plant inside and keep it in a shallow saucer of water and treat it like a
house plant. The other is to go through the process of drying the bulb or
rhizome and storing in peat moss. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 07-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Elaine T

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

Jan's suggestion is a great one!

I have a dwarf variegated canna in my pond right now. I bought it as a
blooming plant in a gallon pot for $7.99. I removed all the dirt I
could, soaked it in permanganate, repotted it in a basket of Schultz
aquatic soil and stuck it in the pond with the water at the crown. It
seems to have survived my total ignorance about acclimation and is
growing well. ;-) It's the most colorful plant in the pond and the
only one flowering thus far.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that wonderful suggestion, Jan. Keep the great posts coming.

George we're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Old 08-05-2005, 04:08 PM
kc

Excuse my ignorance, but what is permanganate and what is its purpose?
Kirsten
(I too stuck a canna in the pond last year, but too quickly I think because
the leaves started rotting...)
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Elaine T

kc wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is permanganate and what is its purpose?
Kirsten
(I too stuck a canna in the pond last year, but too quickly I think because
the leaves started rotting...)

Potassium permanganate is an oxidizing agent like bleach but milder and
purple in color. Soaking plants for 10 minutes in a medium pink (purple
is too strong) solution of permanganate kills most bacteria and fish
parasites and some snail eggs and algae. Unlike bleach, permanganate
doesn't harm plants and it's easy to tell when it's rinsed off.

I think I had an episode of beginner's luck with my canna. :-)

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 08-05-2005, 07:23 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:08:15 -0400, "kc" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is permanganate and what is its purpose?
Kirsten

Potassium Permanganate - an oxidizing agent and disinfectant. Some
pond/garden centers carry it. Be sure and read all the warning listed if
you've never used it before. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~